Moronic Mondays - Weekly Question Thread - December 04, 2017 - HipHop | HipHop Channel

Pages

Moronic Mondays - Weekly Question Thread - December 04, 2017 - HipHop

Moronic Mondays - Weekly Question Thread - December 04, 2017 - HipHop


Moronic Mondays - Weekly Question Thread - December 04, 2017

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 07:35 AM PST

Have a question that you need answered? Was it not answered last week? Did not get a satisfying answer? Or a question that you feel is too small to make a new thread for? Maybe something you think everyone but you knows?

Ask that question in this thread.

Questions must be on topic, concise, and answerable. Answers must be a real answer that solves the question. Do not ask a question that can be covered in the resources section.

Resources


Common Questions

Pronunciation Guide

  • RZA - Rizzah

  • GZA- jiz-zah

  • SZA- sizz-zah

  • Smoke DZA - Smoke Dizz-ah

  • Jhené Aiko - juh-nay. ahh-ee-ko

  • Danny Brown's Ad-lib - Style

  • Nujabes - New-jah-bes

  • Rakim - Rah-kim

  • IAMSU! I-am-sue

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Album Of The Year #4: Danny Watts - Black Boy Meets World

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 10:46 AM PST

Artist: Danny Watts

Album: Black Boy Meets World

Label: Authors Recording Co.

Release Date: September 22, 2017


Listen:

YouTube

Apple Music

Spotify

Bandcamp


Background by /u/bennyandthejets17

Now I'll be honest, I had no idea who Danny Watts was before I saw someone mention his name around this very sub. So to learn more about him and the album, I hit him up and asked him for an interview which he graciously accepted. Before he dropped his debut album, Black Boy Meets World, he was once a child in Houston, Texas, exploring the wondrous world of writing. Danny got into poetry and spoken word, and never really thought of rapping. It all changed when a friend implored him to put his poetry over an instrumental, and at the age of 17 he looked to hone his skill. As a naive teenager, that we all are, or once were, Danny Watts underestimated the effort and time it took to successfully craft a good record. It took him 3 years to get his writing style down, and to continually keep improving until he released his first mixtape, Watts Riots, then followed it up with Messenger Series Vol.1 .

Most people likely found out about Danny Watts through Jonwayne's Rap Album Two cut, "Rainbow". OC Weekly spoke with him on how he originally linked up with Jonwayne, "In 2015, Watts found himself working full-time while being a father, ready to give up on music when Wayne followed him via SoundCloud. Watts decided to go out on a limb by messaging Wayne about collaborating when he got back the response "I don't work over the internet, hit me up when you're in L.A." "So I was like 'Ok, I'll be there in a week'," Watts says. "We set it up from there and ultimately that first time meeting him we were in the studio and we were working on music which ultimately became my contribution to Rap Album Two." Danny Watts's contribution on the album was a show stopping verse which showed off his versatility, knack for imagery, complex metaphors, and knifty personifications. This verse would lead to a fruitful partnership that has blossomed between Danny and Jonwayne, who is still hot off his latest record, Rap Album Two, (Another great album you need to listen to if you haven't already) produced all of Black Boy Meets World. In addition, Danny is the sole signee of Authors Recording Co. as of now, AKA Jonwayne's record label. Now the recording process of the album wasn't as easy the synergy and chemistry between Jonwayne and Danny would suggest while listening to the album. Danny Watts said, "The recording process was rough to say the least. Even though the album has 11 songs, we did about 14 or 15 songs. Mostly written and recorded within the same week. There was no time for second guessing and rewriting. I just had to trust myself and what I wrote. With having to work under those conditions, having Jonwayne there was a huge blessing. He's very knowledgeable in how to approach recording and working efficiently in the studio. He knew when to push through a wall or take a break. Being that this is also my first studio experience, it was great having him around for every step in the process."

Jonwayne has been a mentor to Danny, and Danny Watts trusting him once again, took another leap of faith before going on a 46 stop joint tour with Jonwayne. He quit his long-time job as an optic worker at Costco to take this rap thing full time, while still providing for his family. Touring has been a very special experience for Danny as he illustrates, "Touring is so amazing man. This is my first tour, so I've never been on the road like this. When I first started rapping, one of my goals was to use as a means to travel and see new things. Bringing these stories to life for people on stage is remarkable because I see the importance of it. How my story moves people to come up to me and just share gratitude is amazing. I'll always be humbled by the fact that me telling my truth motivates people to search within themselves to find clarity and understanding." It's evident through his words that touring is a landmark in his career so far, and has been an once in a lifetime experience. It's safe to say that these leaps of faith have Danny reaping the benefits.


Review by /u/bennyandthejets17

The album kicks off with, "I Don't Trust Myself." A short, quick intro song that prefaces the album, giving you a quick look into his mindset as a teenager in Houston, Texas. Danny is full of doubt, he's stagnant in life, and doesn't have self confidence. He raps:

I don't trust myself enough I need to have a little more faith Ain't no point in chasing love When I'm stuck in the same old phase I try to pray to God, He don't hear me Talk to my ma, she don't feel me though I try to pray to God, He don't hear me Called on my pops, he don't answer the phone

This album is a confessional, reflective, autobiographical look into Danny's teenage years. A clear and concise concept album that encapsulates some of the life changing moments he experienced as a youth. The certain choices he made as a teen and the consequences of those actions. The monologue that starts "Cards With the Devil", found in an old record by Jonwayne, where two men were originally talking, then he modified it to only one person speaking. Danny said, "It added a much needed perspective to the album." He says:

One day you wake up and you say you wanna be somebody Just tell yourself "man, you gotta do something" You go "okay, do something" and you go out there and try to do something And why did I have to wake up want to be somebody? I don't know, you know, The way you start, you know, you try to be a nice guy and pick your friends and you hope that they're gonna be nice guys and... You find out along the way some of those guys aren't as nice as you thought. Maybe you should never even have, uh... Should never even have, uh... gone the nice route anyways Cut throat, that's what you gotta do. You gotta cut the throat The battleground is out here now and uh... Everybody knows it and they're scared and... There's not much time left How come I had to wake up and wanna be somebody?

It foreshadows the importance of picking the right friends and when it turns out those friends have a bad influence on you and you're not making the right decisions, the consequences that can come from those actions. The track greets you sonically with subtle horns, organic guitars swirling ear to ear, and a crisp boom bap drum pattern. Danny paints the picture of being born at a disadvantage as a young black man in America. He's trying to not fall into the dangers of the street life, but he's lost and that's where he feels most comfortable. He's fallen into the trappings set for him and he has lost his cards to the devil.

"Young and Reckless" starts with eerie synth leads, the production gives you a gritty feel, and immediately transports you to a place of danger. Danny and his friends are looking for trouble, they think they're invincible, nothing will stop them from ruling these streets. Danny perfectly paints imagery of a young man who is unsure of himself so he puts his trust in others and he's given into the allure of the streets. Danny's flow throughout the track frequently switches up and he finds some fantastic pockets in the beat. He and his friends' mind states and goals are described in the hook:

Young and reckless We don't follow directions We just ignore the message They fall back on aggression This ain't part of the lesson I don't acknowledge pressure I just followed after the only things That give me and my homies blessings

Unfortunately, the feeling of invincibility is taken right out from under him in the tragic, "Pill." A haunting track that tells the story of his friend being shot in a drive-by shooting and dying right in front of him, "blood on my clothes and all", he said before performing it live. You can already tell how cohesive the production is on the album, it's old school and simple, but sets a great backdrop for Danny to showcase his storytelling skills. As he reflects on the experience, through the lyrics, you can hear the toll it took on him and how it changed him fundamentally as a person. It took a piece out of him, and right then and there, a part of him died along side his friend.

Yo, seeing death is a hard pill to swallow Seeing death is a hard pill to swallow My mind is frenzy but my heart is feeling hollow I see the energy begging me to come follow Contorting the way I feel to find malice within my sorrow If their was no tomorrow I'd live my life on a fringe Convinced that my only option was riding out for revenge Product of my society Driving me from sobriety Bottles clinking my wake as I dive for a quick escape

In my interview with him I asked if it was hard to reflect on such a terrible experience. Danny responded, "Remembering these memories in order to make the album didn't really hit me until after I was done. Being that the majority of the album was written and recorded in 1 week, I didn't have much time to reflect. It wasn't until afterwards when I finally listened to the finished version did it really hit me. All the stories about hanging out in the streets were very necessary and I'm glad I found the courage to speak on it."

"Ain't no problem", is another short song that is very reminiscent of "I Don't Trust Myself." The production is frantic and scattered. It captures the paranoia and fear Danny is going through, he feels as if he could be up next to get killed. He is trying to bury the memory of his friend's death with alcohol and is in total denial. As a teen he is not equipped to be able to handle this type of weight on his shoulders. This is not the first time Danny has had to deal with a death of a friend. As a 5th grader, he had to deal with a death of a friend at an early age. In a touching letter about masculinity, he detailed his emotions when finding out about the death of his friend, here's an excerpt:

Our teacher stood in front of the class and answered question after question for kids whose innocence couldn't allow them to grasp such an esoteric concept. Once they realized what death was, tears and cries started to reveal themselves. All the while, I just at there, silently. Unlike them, I understood what all of it meant. I understood my friend was gone forever and I would never get the chance to see him again. Behind my stoic appearance, I was torn inside. I felt anger, confusion, melancholy, and so much more. However, I viewed my classmates as weak for being so quick to cry, especially about something they just began to understand. My teacher came to me, worried that I wasn't okay; again, I just sat there. In some ways, I suppose she was right, something was wrong. I didn't speak or make any attempt in expressing what was on my heart.

The full letter is here, it is a fantastic piece of writing on the topic of toxic masculinity. But back to the album. "Things We Have to Do", is another life threatening experience of Danny getting robbed at gunpoint. His knack for vivid imagery really puts you in his position and once again he showcases his stellar storytelling skills. Production-wise Jonwayne really puts a spin of fear on the track's beat. Danny's lost everything from the robbery; his belt, money, shoes, but that's not all he lost. It did a lot more damage to Danny mentally than it did physically. He felt like he lost a sense of himself and it left a huge imprint on Danny's psyche.

So there I was feeling down on myself Surrounded by demons I'm reinforcing my scales Understand how I felt my pride and dignity shelved Thank the Lord that I'm well, but parts of me went to hell Evil might just prevail overlooking for peace, that's the truth I'm sitting here pondering over absolute Whether not it's time for me to start packing too These are simply the things that we have to do

"Uprooted", changes everything for Danny Watts. Set by a dark, somber, but beautiful instrumental, Danny is forced to move away from everything he knows, he feels out of place and is questioning his identity. On the second verse, we get to learn more about his upbringing and family situation. In a heartbreaking verse, he lets his emotions flow on how his father wasn't around very much, and what it did to his self esteem. All he wants is the chance to spend time with his father, illustrated with these lines:

Opening his wallet to cop me some new shoes But I don't need that, I need the feedback On my jump shot, show me where I should release at I quit the team, would you believe that If he ain't showing me no time I shouldn't waste it too I would've chased the moon

The third verse tells the story of him having a baby at 17. It is truly touching, birthing a child allowed him to feel the happiness he has been longing for. But that split second of joy you feel for Danny is over in an instant. Him and his girlfriend have a falling out and the search for happiness takes place again. He realizes in a moment of self reflection him and his father's stories hold a parallel. He just prays to God that his daughter doesn't have to go through the pain he did in his childhood, when he had an absent father. Here's an excerpt from our interview about his father and their relationship now:

As far as my father, it was rough not having him around growing up. I've learned to see the positive in it and I know that I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now if he were around. My Dad and I are great now and we've had conversations about him not being there and I understand him. I had to learn that not everything is simple in life. So I'm grateful because I found my calling in music and I found clarity in my upbringing not being ideal in societal standards.

"A Lullaby for You", is a song dedicated to his daughter, and has Danny earnestly singing for the first time on the album, albeit not very well, but it is a lullaby for his daugher. Who knows we might have children and may badly sing lullabies if it gives them comfort. His verse again, makes you feel empathy for Danny's current situation, and I truly appreciate the open honesty and transparency he raps with. These line hit me in the heart and deliver an emotional knockout:

Blinded by the judgment of others Who don't understand that I love you It's unfortunate but it all has a meaning to it At least that's what I tell myself Over and over and over and over again Who am I trying to convince? I'm just a failure on the edge of the fence

"Back Again" is the spiritual successor to "Young and Reckless" production wise, but it is a stark contrast to what he was doing then and now. It's a sign of him growing into a new person and brings a more positive perspective to the album. He's coming back a changed man and is doing his best to get away from the trappings he previously partook in. He's matured, has had new experiences since he moved away, and has more of an idea of who he is now, but is still tempted to go back to the place he was once comfortable in. He is fervently trying to come into his own and stay away from his past sins as he raps:

Stuck in this fray and I'm racing Tryin' to break away from the phase I was facing Now I'm in a maze, with skulls in a basement Tryin' to be a piece of me that's not Satan Oh God, that's no lie I found myself, left my homies in time Now I'm back again, back again, back again I fall backwards in this trap and now I'm trapped again Do I have to sin? I make amends for the path that I'm lacking in Cycles got me lapping friends

"Lester's Interlude" sees Danny confronting his insecurities and not looking down as them as pivotal weaknesses, but as human flaws that we all have. Having flaws doesn't mask our positive qualities or the greatness we all have inside of us. I love the message of this track and it serves as a positive ending through all the hardships Danny has faced throughout the album. Even though this is not the closer to the album, it acts as the end of the story arc of Danny's turbulent teenage years.

The closer titled, "Black Boy Meets World", is the most positive, upbeat, and punchy instrumental of the album. Jonwayne really shows his production talent with a rad two minute guitar solo. Meanwhile lyrically, Danny takes you back in time to talk about his childhood and his yearning for a father figure. I know what you're thinking, this is another downbeat, somber track, but Danny flips your expectations and comes to a realization that all he needed was his mother and little step brother. It is a heartwarming track that puts a smile on my face, and is truly a life-affirming moment. The album ends with a poignant monolouge from Danny's mom telling him how proud she is of him for chasing his dream and I think it ends it off on a perfect note.

This album really made it's indent on me. It's such a focused, touching, introspective, sincere, and honest album. Danny Watts does not waste a single word throughout the runtime of the album. Production by Jonwayne is extremely cohesive, but I'll admit, it doesn't really stand out. Not saying it isn't good, because it is very solid, but not his best work. As for another flaw in the album and something Danny, I believe will get better at is his deliver. With many emotional and heart wrenching moments I would have liked his delivery to match the tone of the lyrics. Just another small flaw to a very promising start to his career. Lyrically Danny definitely takes center stage and I am hanging on his every word.


Favorite Lyrics by /u/bennyandthejets17

Cards With the Devil

Somehow I thought elation in this place where the space bends Gave in daily to fates that I'm placed in, my plate's thin Real hunger made me desire more for all my people starving for love Heart is harder to touch because it's harder to trust That's a part of the reason that no one tries to discuss See their eyes with disgust, hatred pointed at us Disguising secret agendas to keep us back from the place That we need to be

Young and Reckless

Break down all these obstacles Holding hate inside of my optical Lurking for anything to put 'em on they heels No lie, I'm out of my mind I'm out of time when I follow these signs Turn left at the light to ignite the field

Pill

The sound of tires screeching as the driver hits the gas We hit the dirt to the cadence of hearing bullets blast I'm running through all these visions, I see my life's past It's like I'm floating how my sneakers never hit the grass I heard a yell that froze me dead inside my only path to freedom I turn around to see my homie down bleeding The rest is inner peace within my freedom

Things We Have To Do

He press the gun to my 'noggin My heart had dropped when he cocked it Dropped a tear from the side of me drop and see life in my optics

Uprooted

17, looking for a remedy The numbing source of all of my agony Fell deep inside a temporary fix and birthed a beautiful soul That was born from my anatomy The truest form of happiness I've ever felt When I gaze into her eyes I can tell, she holds the source of all my innocence In an instant it was over with

Black Boy Meets World

Mama taught me the value of hard work Sacrificing dreams just for me, I'm not worthy I'm giving her the hardest times Anger in my heart cause I was on the line Fighting at any sign There were many times we barely made it by Sitting by her door hearing whispers of her cries Wishing there was more in this world for her to thrive Thinking of the ways that I could make her feel alive She would give it all for me Go to sleep with hunger just so I could eat Eleven years of growing, it was just you and me Us against the universe and then you sowed a seed A baby boy for my company, I take him up under me I'm showing him all these things that a young brother needs Then it would dawn on me, one day I was wondering All that I've come to be from us three


Discussion questions by /u/bennyandthejets17

  • Do you consider this a concept album? Or a narrative that ran throughout?

  • Does this belong in the upper echelon of coming of age stories in hip hop?

  • Did you enjoy having a sole producer? Or would you have liked to see it branch out more production wise?

  • Favorite tracks?

  • Could you relate to the themes of the album?

  • This being a debut album, what can Danny improve on?


Thank you so much for reading, hope you enjoyed it. If you haven't checked out the album I implore you to check it out! Excited to see the responses as I haven't seen very much discussion of the album. Here's the interview in full. He is an incredible humble guy and I was very impressed by his thoughtful answers. Again thanks for reading! I switched with /u/snidelaughter for today but you will see his Saturation 2 writeup soon! Tomorrow we have a fantastic writeup by /u/reptile on Billy Wood's project!

submitted by /u/bennyandthejets17
[link] [comments]

[FRESH] Joyner Lucas - Gucci Gang (Remix)

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 11:03 AM PST

Meek Mill Denied Bail

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 08:18 AM PST

Denzel Curry says his album Taboo is no longer dropping this month

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 09:09 AM PST

Bun B reflects on the 10th Anniversary of Pimp C’s passing (RIP PIMP C)

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 12:52 PM PST

[FRESH VIDEO] Lil Uzi Vert - The Way Life Goes (Nicki Minaj Remix)

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 02:48 PM PST

This Is The Woman Responsible For 300 Of Lil Wayne’s Tattoos “He’s the most gracious respectful man I’ve ever worked for.”

Posted: 03 Dec 2017 11:59 PM PST

Juicy J to Drop Suicideboys Mixtape After 'Rubba Band Business'

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 08:40 AM PST

Eminem - Syllables (feat. Jay-Z, Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, Stat-Quo, Cashis)

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 08:19 PM PST

He was an unbeaten boxer bankrolled by Jay-Z. After an injury sent him into a coma, Roc Nation abandoned him

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 08:53 AM PST

[FRESH] Young Thug - To Me (Everybody)

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 02:04 PM PST

Future - March Madness

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 05:05 PM PST

Pitchfork reviews blackbear's cybersex (4.1)

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 11:34 AM PST

Big K.R.I.T. - Ride Wit Me ft UGK

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 03:23 PM PST

88rising, the company behind Rich Chigga, Joji, Keith Ape, and more ...

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 09:07 AM PST

Daily Discussion Thread 12/04/2017

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 08:25 AM PST

Welcome to the /r/hiphopheads daily discussion thread!

This thread is for:

  • objective questions with right/wrong answers (e.g. "Does anyone know what is happening with MIXTAPE?", "What is the sample in SONG?")
  • general hip-hop discussion
  • meta posts...e.g. ideas for the sub

Thread Guidelines

  • Do not create a separate self post for these types of discussions outside of this thread - if you do, your post will be removed.

  • Please be helpful and friendly.

  • If a question has been asked many times before, provide a link to a thread that contains the answer.

Other ways to interact

There are a number of other ways to interact with other members of HHH:

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Mr Hudson ft. Vic Mensa drops tomorrow on Beats 1

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 10:45 AM PST

Denzel Curry Opens Up About Almost Quitting Hip-Hop and How He Mastered Freestyling

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 06:35 PM PST

[FRESH] Smooky MarGielaa & Kodie Shane - Twenty Mill

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 01:46 PM PST

T-Pain tells a Chris Brown story, also goes deep on how he get screwed over by a record label

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 08:04 AM PST

LL Cool J Becomes First Rapper To Receive Kennedy Center Honor

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 02:44 PM PST

(RIP) Pimp C- Knockin' Doorz Down

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 01:28 PM PST

[FRESH VIDEO] Lil Uzi Vert, Nicki Minaj - The Way Life Goes Remix

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 02:36 PM PST

"The art of trying to fuck is over" - Too $hort

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 03:06 PM PST

[FRESH] Statik Selektah - Slept to Death ft. Curren$y & Cousin Stizz

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 04:11 AM PST

[FRESH REMIX] The Game - ".38 Special" (Free Meek Mill)

Posted: 04 Dec 2017 07:39 AM PST