Album Of The Year #17 Kodak Black - Project Baby 2 - HipHop | HipHop Channel

Pages

Album Of The Year #17 Kodak Black - Project Baby 2 - HipHop

Album Of The Year #17 Kodak Black - Project Baby 2 - HipHop


Album Of The Year #17 Kodak Black - Project Baby 2

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 08:23 AM PST

Artist: Kodak Black

Album: Project Baby 2

Label: Atlantic Records

Release Date: August 18th 2017


Listen on:

Spotify

Apple Music

Google Play

Tidal


Background:

Kodak Black is a 20 year old rapper from Pompano Beach, Florida. Kodak Black had a good start to the year, over Christmas there was a track teased that the internet couldn't wait for. Tunnel Vision. This song started what has now almost ended a great year for Kodak, the single sold terrifically and had everyone excited for his upcoming album Painting Pictures. This year hasn't all been cheer and praise though as many of you will know, Kodak went away for what was to be a years charge in April 2017. He luckily was released later on June 5th having to also complete a life skills course. After his release he seems to have also turned to religion in the form of the Hebrew Israelites.

Kodaks first tape and first look into the scene he'd soon be ever present in was in 2013 with Project Baby. At just 16 Kodak Black managed to put together a very impressive mixtape with very great songs such as Str8 Bars, Molly and Hatin on me. After being released from Prison in 2017 Kodak dropped the follow up to this Project Baby 2 on August 18th

Here is also a piece by complex to explain some of Kodak's past legal battles that constantly surround the image of Kodak Black

http://www.complex.com/music/2017/04/kodak-black-history-of-legal-trouble


Review:

I'm as shocked as you that I'm sitting here writing this review. Kodak Black has been artist in which I've always teetered between liking and neglecting, His past music hasn't consistently blown me away but there have been tracks and tapes I have loved here and there. Project Baby 2 blew me away and I'm going to break down and tell you how and why it managed to do this.

Kodak Black has managed to complete an album here that balances hard trap songs, emotional introspective songs and raw songs that breathe Kodak's style. Sonically it sounds as though he has made this album for himself and has not tried to please any label or particular group with this release and this has led to what is an almost perfect tape.

Firstly, the most key part to me. Kodak's unreal sense of introspectiveness, letting the listener hear about his life and the battles he has going on. Songs like versatile the opening track, Kodak talks about prison and how this is his last chance in life to make something of himself, it's a theme throughout the album and builds a connection to him as a person. From 2:30 to 3:45 he explains his past mistakes and the things in his life in which he values and the reasons why he is going to turn his life around. Songs like this separate Kodak from his contemporaries, these songs aren't just 'empty hits' the songs throughout Project Baby 2 offer an insight into his life and examine what he's going through. This was just Track 1, Change my ways comes in and Kodak is rapping about himself once again, 'Thinking about all of the shit that he's done'. It explains his demons and why he does the things he does. 'All I be thinking is Violence, I need to stay out the Projects' is self-evaluation there are a lot of demonstrations of this all the way through. It has always stunned me when critics of Kodak's music site him just glorifying drugs and mumbling his way through songs. If you listen to the lyrics you'll clearly find this isn't the case.

Kodak's beat selection and flow is also what makes this album upper echelon to me. Kodak's ability to flow almost effortlessly over a wide array of beats on Project Baby 2 is incredible. Pride is a good song to point out both of these points, the beat is fairly simple yet very appealing to the ear and Kodak flows over it so well. It's something Kodak has always been praised for. His melodic and catchy voice over certain beats accompanied by what is a rather smooth and refined flow makes for hits and high selling tracks time and time again.

The beat selection Kodak has chosen makes for such a balanced album with slower, softer songs and harder hitting songs. Don't Wanna Breath, Need a break, First Love. This is a 3 song stretch with slower more melodic and love based songs. This is how you mix up an album, every one of these 3 songs has a sound completely different from the other and gives a depth to the album that you don't get from others, it's not all slow songs, it's not all hard-hitting production reliant music, it's a mix. You get the songs in which the production steals the show (Roll in Peace, Transportin) and then you have songs which allow Kodak to actually rap about his life, showcase his lyrical ability and be introspective.

There are always conversations in our Daily Discussions about album length with many now preferring shorter more concise albums to miss out filler. Now in a lot of cases I feel the same way, that a shorter album allows you to more freely listen to a whole project through and enjoy every track. But with PB2 the listener can proceed through the album back to front and find another track to fall in love with each time. The depth within the track selection is so immense meaning that there truly is something for everyone.


Favourite Lyrics:

  • Change My Ways

I got my grandma a mansion in Haiti

I feel like we still be goin' through slavery

I need to cool it off all of these drugs

I be to quick reachin' out for my gun

I hope my son don't turn out to a thug

I know that gangster shit run in his blood

  • Unexplainable

I'm still the same nigga I'm evolving though

I kept goin' back to jail like a revolving door

  • Built My Legacy

I'm a head honcho the way I knock your whole lil' set off

Got a AR-15 with the scope, this ain't no airsoft

Ain't talkin' Migos, when I see you I'm gon' take off

  • Misunderstood

I don't even need no surfboard, I'm too fuckin' wavy

I ain't take my meds bitch, 'cause I ain't fuckin' crazy

Say you thuggin' a lil' too hard, life you livin' dangerous

They don't see potential, they say I'm a project baby

Just 'cause my dad so goddamn selfish, he ain't wanna raise me


Discussion Questions

1) What is your opinion on Kodaks legal problems and do you think they'll persist or has he seemed more resolved and stable of late?

2) Kodak Black rose to fame coming from XXL in one of the most publicised and criticised XXL Freshman classes, do you ever see a class becoming that spoke of again to create hatred for a genre ('Mumble Rap')

3) Kodak has a very distinct voice, how important is a differing or unique voice within hiphop? Is it more of a hinderance to a lot of creators?

submitted by /u/Kanef64
[link] [comments]

Now Snoop Dogg is threatening George Zimmerman after he threatened to feed Jay-Z to an alligator.

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 12:13 PM PST

[FRESH] BROCKHAMPTON - SATURATION DOCUMENTARY

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 07:23 AM PST

XXXTentacion's ex says that she never admitted to lying about the abuse

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 04:14 PM PST

She posted this on her instagram story https://imgur.com/a/EcpLJ

Edit : She shares her abuse story with XXX https://i.imgur.com/xdAThCP.jpg

submitted by /u/Algonkins
[link] [comments]

[FRESH VIDEO] Lil Skies - Nowadays (feat. Landon Cube) [Dir. by Cole Bennett]

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 08:04 PM PST

N.E.R.D - Voilà (ft. Gucci Mane & Wale)

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 11:10 AM PST

Thanks Hiphopheads for making me a hip hop writer

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 10:36 AM PST

I was looking for the general discussion thread but it's not up and I gotta go to my 9-5. I just needed to make this post to sincerely thank this community for allowing me the platform to post my writing and the reception that forced me to reconcile with what I now feel is my calling. I was originally gonna avoid mentioning my former life as a mid level power user on this sub, but some recent personal events made me much more grateful of simple things like this community.

2 years ago I posted a really long detailed guide to Memphis Hip Hop here and received an outpouring of positive responses. It took me awhile to attempt serious music writing as I was chasing a different career, but the thought was always in the back of my head after writing that. Finally, this September I began writing for Jeff Weiss site, Passion of the Weiss, and now have a weekly column of single reviews. You can catch my recent shit here

Also, if you liked that guide I'm sorry for deleting it, I just needed to update it with sourcing and plan on having a more complete version up in early 2018.

submitted by /u/swolepocketshawty
[link] [comments]

Jeezy - Put On (feat. Kanye West)

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 02:10 PM PST

Black Thought, Eminem, Mos Def - 2009 BET Cypher

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 08:52 PM PST

Will Smith Says He & DJ Jazzy Jeff Have Been Working For The Past 6 Months

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 07:33 AM PST

Sunday General Discussion - December 17th, 2017

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 02:18 PM PST

Any other releases you're excited for before 2018?

Favorite movies of the year?

submitted by /u/TheHHHRobot
[link] [comments]

KanYe West 1997 Beat Tape (All 8 tracks)

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 04:26 PM PST

[FRESH] Eminem - Castle + Arose

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 07:30 AM PST

Basically a two part track, really good storytelling. For all of you sleeping on this album, at least give these two a listen. He's still here boys.

Castle: https://youtu.be/ouYqpoE6oMY

Arose: https://youtu.be/dZKue2YEFpY

submitted by /u/necfx
[link] [comments]

Run The Jewels El-p confirms that RTJ4 is in the works

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 11:15 PM PST

Logic - 44 Bars

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 02:06 PM PST

Logic - Lord Willin'

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 06:36 AM PST

Pitchfork gives No_One Ever Really Dies a 6.2

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 10:16 PM PST

Childish Gambino - That Power

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 09:21 AM PST

Eminem - Framed

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 06:56 PM PST

Joyner Lucas - I'm Not Racist | DEHH Convo

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 08:13 AM PST

N.E.R.D - Deep Down Body Thurst

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 07:28 PM PST

Lil Wayne - La La La

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 11:56 AM PST

(dont upvote) Can anyone help name this song that was playing in the mall while I was closing up?

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 10:23 PM PST

Eminem - Legacy

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 09:59 AM PST

BROCKHAMPTON - LIQUID

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 04:59 AM PST

[FRESH ALBUM] Spice 1 - Throne of Game

Posted: 17 Dec 2017 02:04 PM PST