Album of the year #8 | Joyner Lucas - 508-507-2209 - HipHop | HipHop Channel

Pages

Album of the year #8 | Joyner Lucas - 508-507-2209 - HipHop

Album of the year #8 | Joyner Lucas - 508-507-2209 - HipHop


Album of the year #8 | Joyner Lucas - 508-507-2209

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 06:46 AM PST

Artist: Joyner Lucas

Album: 508-507-2209

Label: Atlantic

Release date: June 16th, 2017

Listen:

Spotify

Youtube

Apple Music


Background by /u/Cohtoh:

Born in Worcester, MA, Joyner Lucas is an up and coming rapper signed to Atlantic. Joyner first gained recognition in 2015 for his extremely powerful video for Ross Capicchioni, which was compared to legendary storytelling tracks like "Stan" by Eminem and I "Gave You Power" by Nas by hip hop legend Busta Rhymes (video here. Shortly after, Joyner dropped his first tape as Joyner Lucas, titled "Along Came Joyner". A year after that tape, Joyner was signed to Atlantic records and began working on his subsequent effort, 508-507-2209, which leads us to this write up.


Review by /u/Cohtoh:

508-507-2209 was my introduction to Joyner, as I'm sure it was for many now-fans. Admittedly, I was not excited in the least to get into it given its length (83 minutes), but once I was a few tracks in, I found myself increasingly enamoured with every passing song. One of the first things that stands out about 508-507-2209 is the voicemail concept Joyner decided to go for with this album. At the end of nearly every track, a voicemail from someone in Joyners life plays, berating him for a multitude of reasons such as his gambling habits, giving unsolicited advice to children, neglecting his girlfriend on valentine's day or even stealing from his friends. How much of this is based in fact is up to the listener, as one of Joyners strengths is his ability to create powerful dialogues in his music. Since nobody but Joyner knows exactly how many of these stories he's authored are based in real life events, for the purpose of this write up, I'm going to give him the benefit doubt and presume most of them have some basis in reality, whether it be his reality or the reality of someone close to him. These grim realities Joyner depicts with his music is the hallmark of his artistry, and combined with his other talents, Joyner is one of the most creative up and comers in terms of his ability to set a scene and introduce unique ways to approach the issues he has created in his music. A great example of this is the song Just Like You. The premise of Just Like You is set up by a man leaving a voicemail for Joyner, verbally attacking him for giving advice to his child:

"Yo, who the fuck do you think you are tryna give advice to a child?

My child.

Nigga, you the biggest piece of shit I've ever met in my life, my nigga.

You the last person that should be trying to give advice to anybody about anything.

Let alone my fucking kid.

Acting like some fucking role model or some shit,

Nigga, don't nobody wanna be like you, Stop it."

He angrily shouts to Joyner. Now, it would have been pretty easy for Joyner to write a song about how he just wants the best for this child, and his intentions were pure. Instead, we're given a song written from the perspectives of the child(ren) he has given advice to, chastising their parents for their behaviour, explaining exactly why they don't want to grow up to be like them. Regardless of what you think of the way the song sounds, to me, this is undeniable creativity. The ability to come at what may not have been a supremely interesting topic and flip it on its head and turn it into something unique and original is something that should be celebrated and encouraged in hip hop, in my opinion.

Another one of his most notable features on the album is his storytelling ability. Between 508-507-2209 and Along Came Joyner, I think he's earned the title of being one of the best storytellers in this current wave of up and coming rappers. Keep it 100 is one of the best examples of his storytelling on the album, as Joyner's story centers around a single 100$ bill as it passes from person to person, going from drug users, to strippers, to a homeless man and more. Joyner's ability to paint a picture with his words on this song is nearly unparalleled among his peers. The way he is able to remain captivating all while seamlessly switching between multiple perspectives of characters in the story is exemplary of his immense talent for storytelling. One particular aspect of his storytelling, or his rapping in general I find to be especially intriguing is the way he repeats a line multiple times throughout the song, yet applies it to an entirely different situation. The best example of this is in the song Lullaby, as he starts all 3 verses with

"I wonder if you often think about what you became //

Do you ever wonder if you ever truly changed?"

Yet his first verse is about the deterioration of a sons relationship with his mother, the second verse is from the perspective of an abused woman/prostitute in a broken relationship, and the third verse is from the perspective of a heroin addict coming to terms with his addiction. On top of all that, he also ends the verses the same way with a variation of

"I just wonder if you recall when I laid in your arms and you used to sing to me like--"

before leading into the "Lullaby" of a hook, referring to his mother holding him as a child, the abusive pimp/boyfriend cradling the woman, and the feeling of injecting heroin for the first time. This perspective shifting and the ability to write three verses all about different situations while all sounding cohesive and tied together is exactly what sets Joyner apart from his peers in my opinion. At times, this album feels like sequences of sporadic mental music videos. I think it's worth noting that these feelings can arise because of Joyners writing process. If you're familiar with Joyners work, you've likely seen some of his music videos. Joyner has gained a reputation of sorts for his impressive visuals attached to his music, with videos like Ross Capicchioni, I'm Not Racist and I'm Sorry racking up tens of millions of views on YouTube. Recently on Everyday Struggle, Joyner briefly mentioned that when he's making these conceptual tracks, he writes the video and plot first, then writes the actual lyrics to the song. It's this unique writing style that I believe leads to his music being visualized so vividly when he wants to attach a certain narrative to it.

Another song I found to be particularly moving was "I'm Sorry". When on the topic of suicide songs in 2017, the first one that comes to mind is 1-800 by Logic. While Logic stays largely surface level with a "it's hard now but you'll be okay" mentality, Joyner dives into more complexities of depression/suicidal thoughts in the first verse, as he raps from the perspective of his suicidal friend. Joyner touches on topics like how suicide is seen as cowardly and how this has been a persisting problem for his friend since he was a child, before bursting into a chorus telling his family that he's sorry for taking his own life. With the second verse, we switch back to Joyners perspective, with him commenting on his emotions towards his friend's suicide. We find Joyner bouncing back and forth between placing blame on his friend for taking his life, and blaming himself for not being able to help more. Joyner ends his verse by wishing he could just have 5 minutes to talk to his friend about everything that has happened:

"And I'd be lying to you if I told you I'm fine, listen

I know that you can hear me, all I need is like five minutes

I just wanna reach inside the casket and pull you out

I'm sorry this is something that we both couldn't figure out

I wish I could hear you now, is your soul missing?

I wonder if you could do it again, would you do it different?

Tell me what death is like

Was it meant for you, brodie? Did the heaven support it?

Are you fucking happy now? Did you get what you wanted?

Isn't this what you wanted?"

Joyners last verse in this song perfectly encapsulates the feelings sadness, anger and confusion that can all arise from the suicide of a close friend. Though Joyner has a lot to say on 508, it was I'm Sorry that had the strongest emotional toll on me.

I think it's also important to note that Joyner's music isn't only impressive on the lyrical end. I've heard many albums in which the rapper is rapping very well, lyrics are extremely solid, but the project falls apart when it comes to the production or the hooks. I can confidently say 508-507-2209 does not have these problems. Joyner manages to match his impressive lyricism with catchy hooks and dynamic, modern sounding production. With hooks like "We Gon Be Alright" and "I Need More", Joyner proves himself to be more than just a rappers rapper. The production credits for the album are difficult to locate, but from what info we do have, it seems as though Boi-1da and Decap have handled most of the production throughout the project. With Boi-1-da's influence, the production sounds modern, yet not derivative at all of today's mainstream hip hop. The fact that Joyner's sound can fit in among modern contemporaries yet also stay distinct and recognizable is what leads me to believe that Joyner has a very bright future in hip hop.

Two of the most common criticisms I've heard of this album and perhaps Joyner in general, is the length(+skits) of the album, and that Joyner is somehow a "fast rapper". On the point of the album being too long, I understand the complaints, and I'm usually the first one to complain about long albums, but on 508-507-2209, almost every song feels like a positive addition to the project. The only song I would cut from the tracklist is Way to Go. Not to imply that Way to Go is a bad song, it just feels the least impactful, and features the least actual rapping from Joyner as it focuses more on the production and Snoh Aalegra's feature on the hook. As for the "fast rapper" criticism, I find it pretty ridiculous as Joyner comes across as a "fast rapper" on such a small fraction of this album. If you only listened to the first song, or his remixes, I can understand why you would think that, but I have yet to see anyone listen to the full album with an unbiased opinion, and come out thinking he's a "fast rapper". Joyner raps no faster on this album than someone like Kendrick or Logic have at moments on their albums, and he certainly isn't using it as a crutch on every song, seeing as songs like Keep it 100, I'm Sorry, I Need More, Forever, Just Like You, Lullaby and many others feature 0 "fast rapping" at all. Because of this, I find the "fast rapping" criticism to be lazy, and largely baseless.

All in all, 508-507-2209 has made Joyner my most anticipated relatively-new face in hip hop. He's still early in his career, and he shows a level of ambition that doesn't come around often. I believe with the right focus and time, with his level of creativity, he will be able to craft an album that is recognized by both fans and the masses as a great hip hop album.


Favorite lyrics:

"Tell me what death is like, was it meant for you, brodie?

Did the heaven support it? Are you fucking happy now? Did you get what you wanted?"

Sorry

"Cause you gave me a feeling some shit that I never felt before

And I ain't trying to make excuses but inside I'm torn

And you was there for me at times I couldn't find the lord

And all I had to do was inject you and lock the doors

So I can feel some type of peace while I dreamed and go watch the stars

And that alone is just a feeling some will never know

But now I'm rotten, it's not the same as I felt before

We don't have the type of bond we used to have before

But I ain't mad at all, I just wonder if you recall sticking you in my arms, when you used to sing to me like--"

Lullaby

"And she went back to the streets, back to the cash at the leash, she back to get back on her knees

And she don't like how this shit make her feel, but you gotta do what you gotta do when it's time for paying bills, for real

She wanna retire soon, she swear to God

smack

She looked up and seen the hand of God, oh my God"

Keep it 100


Discussion points:

With very few rappers blowing up in 2017 off their lyricism, is there a place for Joyner to reach a higher echelon of fame within hip hop?

How do you feel about the length of the album, or long albums in general? Was the length of 508 justified to you? If not, which songs would you remove?

How would you rate Joyner's ability+music among his peers?

Do you think Joyner is capable of one day dropping an album that is seen as great by the hip hop community as a whole? If not, why?


Reminder that this post is for discussion of 508-507-2209, not his gucci gang remix or his "I'm not racist" video. If you're looking to discuss those songs without connecting them to the album, this is not the thread for you.

submitted by /u/Cohtoh
[link] [comments]

New Music Friday - December 8th, 2017

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 10:51 AM PST

Albums

Big Sean & Metro Boomin - Double or Nothing

Quality Control - Control The Streets Vol. 1

Juicy J - Rubba Band Business

Tee Grizzley & Lil Durk - Bloodas

G Perico - To Tha Left

Statik Selektah - 8

Retch - Still Up

KXNG Crooked – Good vs. Evil II: The Red Empire

Supa Bwe – Finally Dead

EPs

Rihanna & SZA - Consideration Remixes EP

Pell - girasoul

Nick Hook & DJ Earl - 50 Backwoods

Singles

Eminem - Untouchable

Migos & Marshmello - Danger

G-Eazy – Sober (ft. Charlie Puth)

Trouble - Bring It Back (feat. Drake)

Trippie Redd - Dark Knight Dummo (feat. Travis Scott)

Zaytoven – Wake Up & Cook Up (ft. Quavo & 2 Chainz)

London On Da Track – Whatever You On (ft. Young Thug, Ty Dolla $ign, Jeremih & YG)

Shy Glizzy – Dope Boy Magic (ft. Trey Songz & A Boogie wit da Hoodie)

Tunji Ige - Pounds

Da$h - Means

AD – What I'm Feelin

AD – Current Events

Bekon - Cold As Ice

Gus Dapperton - Prune, Why Are You Talking Funny?

Songs not on Streaming...

Trouble - Bring It Back (feat. Drake)

Slim Thug - Kingz and Bosses (ft. Big K.R.I.T.)

Styles P – Ghost Hook / Ghost a Minute

Pressa – Canadian Goose (ft. Tory Lanez)

John Lindahl – The Feeling (ft. Logic)

submitted by /u/TheRoyalGodfrey
[link] [comments]

Lil Peep died of fentanyl and Xanax

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 02:29 PM PST

FBI asked Meek Mill to secretly record his judge.... He said no

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 07:59 AM PST

Lil B announces cooking show called 'Food Makes Me Happy'

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 08:48 AM PST

The making of Ski Mask The Slump God's "Catch Me Outside" Video with Cole Bennett

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 03:27 PM PST

Migos just put out a casting call for a Nadeska look-alike

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 07:57 AM PST

Harry Fraud releases tracklist to upcoming mixtape “The Coast”, with features from Max B, Playboi Carti, Rick Ross, Action Bronson and more.

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 12:41 PM PST

[DISCUSSION] J. Cole - 4 Your Eyez Only (One Year Later)

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 04:03 PM PST

It has been about a year since J. Cole dropped 4 Your Eyez Only. Thoughts on the project? How has it aged over the last year?

submitted by /u/19-5-12
[link] [comments]

Anderson .Paak reveals he made music for Eminem’s new album

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 03:36 AM PST

[FRESH] Big Sean, Travis Scott, & Metro Boomin - Go Legend

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 07:09 AM PST

Die Antwoord ripping into Eminem for mispronouncing their name

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 12:59 PM PST

Chance just showed up on the WGN morning news in Chicago and did the weather

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 07:22 AM PST

[FRESH] Big K.R.I.T freestyles on Sway in the Morning

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 07:33 AM PST

[FRESH] 21 Savage - Issa Movie (Official Trailer)

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 11:54 AM PST

Lil Waynes most slept on rhymes.

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 09:06 PM PST

Ill get the ball rolling

"I'm the shit you ass-wipe, Beat the pussy, cat fight, My teeth look like a flashlight, Weed is like a airline, Cause easily I'm that high, Fistful of money Mix some green in with your black eye"

"I got a grill I dont have to get my tooth fixed, the tooth fairy would retire if I lose it"

"They say Im oldschool but I dropped out, drop your body of at a cops house, they throwing up them bricks you better box out, my niggas got enough white to build barracks house"

"and my drink still pinker than the easter rabbit, and Im so cole (cool) like keyshias' family, stove on my waste turn beef to paddies"

submitted by /u/jazzmcnuggets
[link] [comments]

DISCUSSION - STONEY // Post Malone (One Year Later)

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 08:15 PM PST

Although Stoney has stayed on the charts and gained a lot of popularity around the time Rockstar released, the album makes a year old tomorrow. What are some of your favorites on the album? Songs you disliked? How do you feel about the album?

submitted by /u/heckleberryfin
[link] [comments]

ACTiON BRONSON & RiFF RaFF - BiRD ON A WiRE (Prod. Harry Fraud)

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 03:11 PM PST

50 Cent confirms first track on new album Street King Immortal

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 04:22 PM PST

[FRESH] Smokepurpp - JUMP (prod. Digital nas)

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 01:33 PM PST

[DISCUSSION] Big Sean & Metro Boomin - Double or Nothing (One Day Later)

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 08:41 PM PST

hopefully people have had the chances to get a few listens in. What are your guys thoughts on this album?

submitted by /u/Jss2324
[link] [comments]

[FRESH VIDEO] Nav - Wanted You (ft. Lil Uzi Vert)

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 10:46 AM PST

Mac Miller - The Star Room

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 08:26 PM PST

[FRESH VIDEO] Bones - Resurrection

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 05:27 PM PST

[DISCUSSION] Miguel - War & Leisure

Posted: 08 Dec 2017 09:06 AM PST

It's been a week now since release. What do you guys think about the album? Favourite moments?

Personally, really enjoying this record. There is a range of sounds on here but all work well together imo. Favourite songs are probably Criminal, Skywalker, Banana Clip, Wolf, Caramelo Duro, and Come Through and Chill. For me, I'd say that I enjoyed it a bit more than Wildheart, either on par with or slightly below Kaleidoscope Dream.

submitted by /u/ThaRealBasedMSJ
[link] [comments]