Album of the Year 2017 #01: SZA - CTRL. - HipHop | HipHop Channel

Pages

Album of the Year 2017 #01: SZA - CTRL. - HipHop

Album of the Year 2017 #01: SZA - CTRL. - HipHop


Album of the Year 2017 #01: SZA - CTRL.

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 08:01 AM PST

Artist: SZA
Album: CTRL


Listen:

Apple Music

Spotify


Background:

SZA (Self Savior, Zig Zag Zig, Allah in the Supreme Alphabet), born Solána Rowe, is the woman I'm going to talk about today. Her, and her debut album, CTRL, my second album of the year behind Lorde's Melodrama. At barely 26 years old, her life has taken a lot of turns: from being a gymnast to working with Beyoncé and Rihanna to being a model for Ivy Park to being a neo-soul superstar. Born in St. Louis, from a black-muslim family, she only could listen to one genre of music in her house: jazz, with the artists her father played, like Miles Davis, Billie Holiday or Louis Armstrong. This would mark the jazzy production on CTRL. Other of her influences would be given by one of her friends, in a Bar Mitzvah: she got gifted a CD mixtape with Red Hot Chili Peppers, LFO and Macy Gray, what she called emo sad white rich kid shit. She loved it.

But that isn't everything; one day her old brother gave her an iPod. On it, she found artists that completely broke with the styles of music she was accustomed to: Wu-Tang Clan, Björk, Common, Mos Def, Nas and Jay-Z. Her brother (Manhattan) also introduced her to music: when she was 19, he asked her to do backing vocals for one of his songs, Where Do We Go?.

Fast forward a year: SZA self-releases her debut mixtape See.SZA.Run, which included the single Time Travel Undone. Later in 2013, she signs to TDE and releases an EP, S. Then in 2014 she released another EP, Z, including the songs Child's Play featuring Chance the Rapper and Babylon featuring Kendrick Lamar. Some writing credits with Beyoncé and Nicki, some others with Travis Scott and ScHoolboy Q, a feature with Jay Rock, and we get to the first big jump: Rihanna's Consideration.

Consideration is the intro track to the 2016 surprise-released Rihanna album, Anti. Well we don't know if it was a surprise, but Tidal fucked up. SZA had previously spoken about Rihanna in a series of tweets calling her and Ciara out, but they became friends after. Consideration could be considered SZA's first step into mainstream, especially thanks to that BRITs performance. To the track, SZA does the post-choruses and the outro. They are beautifully written, and SZA's voice does a beautiful contrast with Rihanna's.

When I look outside my window
I can't get no peace of mind

It's a pessimistic line, evoking a moment of sadness. The picture of people looking at the window is constant in movies and shows, waiting for something to come or happen. But when SZA looks at the window, she can't see nothing positive. Those two lines could condense SZA's lyrical skills.


Review:

That is my greatest fear, that if, if I lost control, or did not have control, things would just, you know, I would be… fatal.

"Supermodel", the first track in SZA's debut album CTRL, starts with these lines. They're not spoken by her, but by her mother. SZA explained what control is for her in a Genius interview:

"I have no control, there is no such thing as control. I'm chasing control. I'm craving control. I'm losing control. It's a culmination of all these things, of this word, of this concept, that's just run my life for so long, that's just been very obsessive. [...] Like, 'No, don't put out an album until you're a better writer.' And the truth is, sometimes you just have to let go."

We chase control in our lives. For many, our life goal is being with someone we love, in a pretty house, with a job we enjoy. But sometimes things don't work out like that. Supermodel talks about SZA having a boyfriend, who heads to Vegas on Valentine's Day. She later receives a call from one of his friends: they all had a orgy that day. This line feels like a bomb in a first listen:

Let me tell you a secret
I been secretly banging your homeboy
Why you in Vegas all up on Valentine's Day?

SZA spits the lines over the looped chords of an electric guitar, the only beat of the song until the second minute, where some drums kick in. If he can cheat on her, she cheats on him. In an interview with The Breakfast Club, she revealed that after getting that call she started to go after one of his boyfriend's friends, who she had a crush on. She uses the second and first person to end the verse:

Oh no she didn't
Oh yes I did
Oh no she didn't
I'll do it again

This showcases the surprise of his boyfriend, the second person, to the indifference of her. She will do it again, just to hurt him more if it's necessary. But at the same time, she isn't comfortable with her new… Boyfriend? FWB? At all, SZA isn't comfortable with a man, but she can't be alone:

Why I can't stay alone just by myself?
Wish I was comfortable just with myself
But I need you, but I need you, but I need you

That's a feeling many have. Even if it hurts, you need to be with someone. At the end, one needs to love itself, and move on. But instead, SZA breaks up with her boyfriend to move on with his friend:

That's why I stayed with ya
The dick was too good
It made me feel good
For temporary love
You was a temporary lover

Still, she has insecurities she can't let go. She looks for attention, but instead of love, only gets sex back. But it's not bad for her, that still makes her feel good. And the chorus repeats again, going back to the wish I was comfortable just with myself lines, but this time it doesn't apply to her old boyfriend, but to her new temporary lover. She went from a toxic relationship to another one. Sometimes, that person you love doesn't love you as much, and that house you wanted for your future family won't be bought. At the end, Supermodel becomes an hymn about letting go. About not being dependant of others. About getting over your insecurities. About being comfortable with yourself.


Then, "Love Galore" does a flash-forward. The second single of CTRL becomes a flash-forward from Supermodel. It starts with an intro sung by Travis Scott, that goes by I need, I need several times, to which SZA's chorus replies love, love. While he doesn't know what he wants (sex, love, a family), SZA is sure about her ideas: as long as they have love, they'll be fine.

But, Love Galore has a special line that hits in the pre-chorus:

Why you bother me when you know you don't want me?

It's a relatable sentiment. How many times has someone avoided talking with you after they started talking? In an era of digital communication where you can get everything through Twitter and talk with anybody, ignoring someone is easier than ever. Face to face, you can't just leave running and have an excuse. Ask a girl, she'll tell you about how she has fifteen guys texting her but none has asked her on a date. In any other context this line would feel pretty conservative, but on SZA's words it works out. Then, the second line hits:

Why you bother me when you know you got a woman?

Now ask the same girl as before, and she'll tell you about how half of those guys had a girlfriend and just wanted her to be either a side chick or a plan B. The whole pre-chorus is an oxymoron to the first verse, which talked about a temporary love (just like Supermodel), a summer fling, but now talks about taking any opportunity to be with her lover:

I be looking for ya
Got me looking forward to weekends
With you baby, with you baby
[..]
We do whatever we want, go wherever we want
Love however we want, it don't matter
You'll do whatever I want, get whatever I want
Get whatever I need, it's about (love, love)

The last two lines mark a huge change in the song: they might be playing, but now it's her time to play with him. She wants him, but at the same time she is the one who will decide over him. The one who will leaver her on read. But then you have the gorgeous outro:

I came to your city, lookin' for lovin' n' licky
'Cause you promised to put it down
All up in your city, lookin' for you, uh
Searchin' for you like love
Only thing keepin' me from droppin' you right now
Right now, love
Only thing keepin' me by your side
Only thing keepin' me by your side now

Go back to the same girl you talked with before. Has she been ghosted? Ever? Probably. Maybe the guy got a cold, maybe he was at a party, maybe he just forgot. SZA explains it once again to Genius:

The outro is the telltale story of you be in the area. You said you wanted to do all these things. Like, you wanted to spend time and, you know, talked a good one. Via whatever. Via text, via on the phone, and then you go ghost. That's happened to so many girls. [...] But, I have been in a place where I felt like I liked somebody and I couldn't say what I wanted to say. So you just end up being quiet. Like, the whole time, in this place where the other person is. It could be a city, it could be a proverbial city. It could be a room. It could be a party.

Love Galore is as a whole an anthem to digital love, in the good and the bad side. It's a song that empowers to dump the guys who just want side chicks, to get out of toxic relationship, to recognize what's wrong with you and your lover.


Fearin' not growin' up
Keepin' me up at night
Am I doin' enough?
Feel like I'm wastin' time

"Prom", the fifth track, is a come back to the sound of her old mixtapes, doing disco-pop that many other popstars could have done. It's teen angst, but late teen angst: prom season is coming of age, growing apart, and looking forward to the future. All of this happens while SZA sings about not maturing as fast as her boyfriend:

Please don't take it, don't take it personal
Like I know you usually do

While he is caring with her, she just can't give back. She just isn't ready for a relationship. One of my favourite lines on the song is at the end of the second verse:

To run and hide out somewhere
So far away
Hoppin' through poppy fields
Dodgin' evil witches
These houses keep droppin' everywhere

Which is a reference to The Wizard of Oz. SZA likes to reference movies in her songs, like Forrest Gump in "Doves In The Wind" or Misery in the "Love Galore" video. Those evil witches are those mean girls and high-school, and the houses are her possible futures: what career to choose, who to settle down with… and just as with The Wizard of Oz, what matters in high-school is the journey, not the ending; the friends and experiences you make along the way, not going to university.

Prom feels like a song stuck in a 90's movie: after the couple leaves town in their convertible, the song starts to play as the camera does an aerial shot of the car far away, driving through the country roads, and then the credits kick in. Maybe it could be the ending of the album, but instead it rolls out to "The Weekend".

And then there is "The Weekend".


You say you got a girl
How you want me?
How you want me when you got a girl?

"The Weekend" starts as every other SZA song, or that's what many people say: she is a side-chick in a relationship with a man who already has a girlfriend. These lines are from her perspective, facing his partner. The first verse follows:

Of knowin' it's selfish
Knowin' I'm desperate
Gettin' all in your love
Fallin' all over love, like
Do it 'til it hurts less

She desperately looks for his attention, trying to love him enough to make him dump his girlfriend and be with her. The irony of the last line is how even if he broke up with the other woman, and SZA became his girlfriend, the man would keep on cheating her with another woman. It will hurt less to be with him, sure, but he still won't be only hers.

Hanging out the back, all up in your lap
Like is you comin' home?
Is you out with her?
I don't care long as you're here by
10:30, no later than
Drop them drawers, give me what I want

The lines are self-explanatory. She went from not caring about the other woman to worry about his relationship with her. But still, she doesn't care as long as she gets sex. Then you get one of the most beautiful chorus this year:

My man is my man is your man
Heard it's her man too
[...]
Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
I just keep him satisfied through the weekend
You're like 9 to 5, I'm the weekend
Make him lose his mind every weekend
You take Wednesday, Thursday
Then just send him my way
Think I got it covered for the weekend

Where she compares herself as a weekend with him, while his girlfriend is with him during the weekdays. This line also could have a deeper meaning: while he doesn't enjoy his work (the weekdays, the other woman) and feels stressed about it, the weekend (her) are moments of relax. He enjoys more the moments he spends with SZA rather than with her girlfriend. As she says in "Love Galore" (got me looking forward to weekends), he looks forward to the weekend to be liberated.

I gotta say I'm in the mood for a little bit more of that
I mean I'm saying what kind of deal is two days?
I need me at least 'bout four of them
More of them, more of you on me
On us, just tell me you want me, yeah

In the second SZA starts to argue about the arrangement her and the girlfriend did: while one gets 5 days, the other only gets 2.

Monday and I'll be at your door
Ready to take her place
Ready to give you
What you've been missin' on weekdays
What you've been waitin' for
10:30, no later than
Drop them drawers, I know what you want

Now SZA breaks her arrangement, and decides that she wants the man all for her. One of the most interesting parts is how the last line also references the last line of the first verse: instead of give me what I want now it's I know what you want, showing that now she wants to take control of the relationship. Another chorus goes, and then an outro.

What a good song, right? The thing is, to see what makes it great you need to switch the view on the song. "The Weekend" isn't sung from one perspective; it's sung from two. Both the side-chick and the girlfriend. And not just one side-chick, but two. And if you go back to the Breakfast Club interview I put around Supermodel, you'll see she mentions how she talks from both perspectives:

A lot of these songs have dual meanings. I'm speaking from the girlfriend and from the other perspective. Like I've been the girlfriend that didn't know and I've been the girl that didn't know you had a girlfriend.

So at the end of the day, SZA isn't the side-chick. She is the girlfriend, but sings from both perspectives. In some verses you can't tell who is singing, like in the one that references home. It's overall a very interesting song, where unless you get some context you'll just say that it's just good, where narratives matters.


That's me, Ms. 20 Something

"20 Something", starts over some subtle guitar chords. It doesn't sound like something special, but it is because it's the first time in the whole album since Supermodel a guitar really stand out. It makes it sound like a bonfire song, and the harmonies in the chorus reinforce that feeling. It's a campfire song, and just like "Prom", it's a song about being stuck but wanting to grow up. While "Prom" situated SZA at the end of high-school, "20 Something" is somewhere in her twenties, maybe finishing college, maybe right now. And while "Prom" was teenage angst, "20 Something" has a feeling of... matureness. SZA sings a beautiful chorus that sums it up:

Stuck in them 20 somethings, stuck in them 20 somethings
Good luck on them 20 somethings, good luck on them 20 somethings
But God bless these 20 somethings
Hopin' my 20 somethings won't end
Hopin' to keep the rest of my friends
Prayin' the 20 somethings don't kill me, don't kill me

Who hasn't been told 'good luck with that' at any stage of his life? High-school, college, and then those twenty-somethings. A moment where you have to act mature, but you aren't mature enough for some things. Mature enough to party all night and be responsible of your own acts, but not enough to settle down and buy a house. Some want to be stuck in the former, some look forward to the latter. But as she says, *'God Bless these 20 Somethings'. It's a stage of life that as any other you have to enjoy and live as you want. Don't look at the future as something perfect, and try to do the best in the time you have. You need to make your way out of the twenties, stand out, but at the same time it's necessary to spend those years having fun and being happy. And that's hard.

Finally, the outro to CTRL is a phone call with SZA's mother, once again:

And if it's an illusion, I don't want to wake up. I'm gonna hang on to it. Because the alternative is an abyss, is just a hole, a darkness, a nothingness. Who wants that? You know? So that's what I think about control, and that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
That was beautiful mommy, that was perfect.

And this is what connects "Supermodel" to "20 Something", what connects CTRL. A phone call from which we only know the start and the end. Those are two points of a story, the story of SZA's mother, and you can connect them however you want. That's what shines in CTRL, the skill of making songs that people can relate to. Maybe it's not the same story they have lived, maybe it's not their story at all, but it sure is one you can feel that has happened, to SZA and to many other people.

CTRL isn't a perfect album, neither it has a perfect message. It isn't free of contradictions (first I need you, but now I don't need nobody) but CTRL doesn't pretend to be an album of self-help since the lyrics can't be more full of guilt, low self-esteem and self-embarrassment. As the title suggests, the control SZA assumes sometimes works and other times, just like a keyboard key, doesn't. This is SZA's reality, the one of a 'twenty-something' woman, and also many other girls', who will come to this album not to find answers to their questions but to comfort themselves in the experience a person like them had to suffer and later found the strength to tell.


other favourite lyrics, chosen by other users:

Maybe I should kill my inhibition
Maybe I'll be perfect in a new dimension

I get so lonely, I forget what I'm worth,
We get so lonely, we pretend that this works
I'm so ashamed of myself think I need therapy

  • "Drew Barrymore", second verse, chosen by u/Leixander. It is kinda personal actually. Won't go too deep but in a point of my life I decided that I want to be alone for a while. It didn't go well as you can imagine, but I am way better now. SZA has many lyrics that I found reflecting, like in the later lines of Drew Barrymore's "I am sorry I am not attractive, I am sorry I am not more ladylike" i.e. the lack of self-worth.

How could it be?
20 something, all alone still
Not a thing in my name
Ain't got nothing, running from love
Only know fear

  • "20 Something", pre-chorus, chosen by u/-dolantello-. i love the lyrics because i think it perfectly captures the solitude and loneliness that comes to many people when they become young adults

I'm sorry I'm not more ladylike
I'm sorry I don't shave my legs at night

  • "Drew Barrymore", second verse, chosen by u/Fledgeland. oh and vodka, its because i think its empowering ofc.

I know you'd rather be laid up with a big booty
Body hella positive 'cause she got a big booty
I know I'd rather be paid up
You know I'm sensitive about havin' no booty
Havin' nobody, only you, buddy
Can you hold me when nobody's around us?

  • "Garden", second verse, chosen by u/pasalacquanian. thats my favorite song, and her flow nice there.

Somebody get the tacos, somebody spark the blunt
Let's start the Narcos off at episode one

  • "Drew Barrymore", first verse, chosen by u/ThatParaonidPenguin. and this, i love drew barrymore. the juxtaposition of asking if its warm enough inside and outside. i could gush about this album all day.

Discussion points:

  • It took SZA 3 years to release this album. Was it worth the wait or is the more left to be desired? (chosen by u/pasalacquanian)
  • Are we seeing another rise of storytellers in hip-hop and R&B?
  • With a genre so focused on objectifying women, how does SZA take the concept and turn it on its head? (chosen by u/ThatParanoidPenguin)
  • Based on the content of the album, why do you think the name CTRL was chosen? What do you think it means to SZA, and how do themes of the title play out throughout the album? (chosen by u/Fledgeland)
  • Where do you see SZA going from here? CTRL was an expansive album that covered various different sounds and concepts. Do you think she'll continue with more of the same or further explore different styles? (chosen by u/-dolantello-)

SZA has been called everything in the five years that separate the release of her first mixtape to today. The saviour of female R&B, the female Frank Ocean, the next big popstar, the new Beyoncé. Comparisons are never good, but maybe this time they are. If I wrote this review like this, focusing more on the lyrics than the production (when I prefer production most of the time), it's because SZA has those lyrical skills that make her stand out. She is a storyteller, and maybe some people compare her with Frank Ocean for that. CTRL is an album full of stories, from falling out of love to parties to growing up, and she tells them all fantastically.

And maybe she is the next big popstar. In a year with few to no female #1s (Taylor, Cardi and Halsey as a feature), pop needs a new star. One with attitude, that is able to make hits and at the same time amazing albums. For me, it's torn between Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello or Dua Lipa, but SZA is a big contender. She's had a top 30 single, and her first album debuted at #3 (behind Kendrick Lamar and Katy Perry tho) with 60k copies, half of them pure sales. She has gone on a big Europe tour with Bryson Tiller, got a cover on Billboard and has been working with Kevin Parker (Tame Impala) and Mark Ronson in an album. She has a top 10 hit with Maroon 5. And on top of all, she got 5 nominations for the Grammys this year. Her becoming a star is all a possibility, of course, but SZA sure has a bright future ahead.


submitted by /u/VodkaInsipido
[link] [comments]

Saturation III December 15th.

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 11:43 AM PST

XXXTentacion charged with witness tampering after threatening his ex

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 05:56 PM PST

@AmeerVann "fuck reddit fuck brockhampton"

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 12:10 PM PST

Big Sean and Metro Boomin announce Joint LP 'Double or Nothing'

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 07:53 AM PST

PSA: 8 Mile was just added to Netflix

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 05:57 PM PST

Post Malone Postpones album

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 05:39 PM PST

Federal Government wants Martin Shkreli to hand over Wu-Tang Album in forfeiture.

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 08:32 AM PST

[FRESH SONG] firearm - playboi carti, lil Uzi vert

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 03:53 PM PST

[FRESH VIDEO] $UICIDEBOY$ - FACE IT

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 02:38 PM PST

It looks like $uicideBoy$ just cleared a lot of samples.

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 08:53 AM PST

Lots of their old albums are now on Spotify / Apple Music.

Just a heads up!

submitted by /u/sometimes_i_downvote
[link] [comments]

DMX Facing 5 Years in Prison After Pleading Guilty to $1.7 Million in Tax Fraud

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 01:35 PM PST

[FRESH VIDEO] N.E.R.D. - 1000

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 05:59 PM PST

[FRESH SONG] DRAM - Good Thang from Big Baby DRAM (Deluxe)

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 08:15 AM PST

The Making Of Drake's "Passionfruit" With Nana Rogues | Deconstructed

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 09:17 AM PST

Daily Discussion Thread 12/01/2017

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 02:32 PM PST

Welcome to the /r/hiphopheads daily discussion thread!

This thread is for:

  • objective questions with right/wrong answers (e.g. "Does anyone know what is happening with MIXTAPE?", "What is the sample in SONG?")
  • general hip-hop discussion
  • meta posts...e.g. ideas for the sub

Thread Guidelines

  • Do not create a separate self post for these types of discussions outside of this thread - if you do, your post will be removed.

  • Please be helpful and friendly.

  • If a question has been asked many times before, provide a link to a thread that contains the answer.

Other ways to interact

There are a number of other ways to interact with other members of HHH:

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

[FRESH VIDEO] DJ Premier - Our Streets feat. A$AP Ferg

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 07:09 AM PST

Jaden Smith "Icon" Official Lyrics & Meaning | Verified

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 03:40 PM PST

IDK - 17 Wit A 38 (with Chief Keef)

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 06:07 PM PST

[FRESH SONG] DRAM - Eyeyieyie from Big Baby DRAM (Deluxe)

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 08:24 AM PST

[FRESH] Talib Kweli Ft. Anderson .Paak & Kaytranada "Traveling Light" - CONAN on TBS

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 10:39 AM PST

Dutch Hip-Hop festival WooHah! announces first new names for 2018 with J. Cole, Joey Bada$$, Lil Pump and more!

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 06:14 AM PST

RZA & Cappadonna of the Wu-Tang Clan Leaves Nick Cannon Speechless

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 01:23 PM PST

[FRESH] PLAYBOI CARTI - SQUAD (FT. LIL UZI VERT)

Posted: 01 Dec 2017 04:17 PM PST