Double K Memorial Thread - HipHop | HipHop Channel

Pages

Double K Memorial Thread - HipHop

Double K Memorial Thread - HipHop


Double K Memorial Thread

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 10:16 AM PST

Rapper Double K of the Los Angeles duo, People Under the Stairs, has died at the age of 43.

News Thread

There will be zero tolerance for disrespectful comments in this thread. All songs by the artist and non-news posts about the artist (e.g. reactions, tributes, etc.) should be posted within this thread, any posted outside of this thread will be removed whether or not they violate subreddit rules.

R.I.P. Double K 1978 - 2021

"A Brotha who's known for his raps"


ItsTheReal: RIP Double K. Was just listening to People Under the Stairs last night.

RJD2: Damn.... RIP Double K. Never knew the PUTS guys personally, but it felt like there was a concurrent thing happening on the west coast to the Jux/Fondle em/RSE thing, and they were in the middle of it. Condolences to Thes One.

Immortal Technqiue: Rest in Power Double K.

Fat Tony: r.i.p. double k. people under the stairs' live performances should be in the hall of fame

Casey Veggies: R.I.P Double K of People Under The Stairs.. Underground Hip-Hop legend

Andrew Barber (of Fake Shore Drive): Well this absolutely sucks. An incredible DJ. Those first few PUTS records were so much fun — at a time when "fun" was not a word you would often use to describe underground hip-hop. I remember I was 19 or so, early '00s, and my band played one of our first "big" gigs in the satellite room at the Knitting Factory. We were awful. Afterward we were licking our wounds backstage, and we hear a sound from the main stage: "Is that...the Super Mario Bros theme?" We leave our gear there and go to the main stage, and Double K was up there live remixing all the Mario music — the whole crowd was losing their minds. We watched the whole set, immediately forgot about face planting just a few minutes earlier. Instant fan.

DāM-FunK: RIP šŸ•Š 2 Mid-City└A's own Double K (Michael Turner) of @PUTS. Respect. Condolences 2 his family, Thes One, all their listeners & peers at this time. BandCamp, Discogs

Mac Lethal: Aw man. RIP Double K!

Open Mike Eagle: damn rip double K

DJ Yoda: Oh no. Rest in peace to Double K of People Under The Stairs, who I worked with on my very first piece of music production "Quid Control". A great MC and a great guy.

Z-Trip: Ahhh, man... crushed. We lost another good dude. RIP Double K from #PUTS

MING: Sad to hear about Double K of @puts passing. I have fond memories of touring w the group w Ming+FS. I always admired their stage presence and digger productions. Onwards.

J-Zone: Just interacted with K a week ago, this hurts. Great brother. What a loss. Rest easy Double K.

Mello Music Group: Rest In Peace Double K šŸŒ§ saddened to hear about the loss of Double K this morning. People Under The Stairs were a major influence on us. Love and respect to his family and friends in this time of mourning.

J-Live: Man. Just finished watching a memorial for my Uncle. Just found out we lost Double K of People Under The Stairs... Rest In Peace brother. Glad to have known you and toured with you. Peace and strength to the family.


Content

In the studio

Collaborative Memorial Playlist

submitted by /u/HHHRobot
[link] [comments]

Smooth Sunday. Post your smooth tracks here - January 31, 2021

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 06:30 AM PST

Let's keep it simple. Post your smooth tracks here.

Previous Smooth Sunday posts

submitted by /u/HHHRobot
[link] [comments]

Recent HHH darling Amahk Yakseego loses all work due to hard drive failure

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:30 AM PST

A few months back, artist Amahk Yakseego (Khama) blew up for a day on HHH when he wowed the sub with his incredibly flow and bars.

Most commenters couldn't believe someone so skilled didn't have more than a few hundred views or so at the time.

For me personally, he was my favourite discovery of the year and I've been following him on IG since as well as bumping his songs regularly.

Today, he shared on IG that a hard drive containing all his work has failed and he is dependant on donations to attempt a recovery.

My hard drive has been damaged internally and all of my work over the past 5 years is now inaccessible. This includes all creative works, projects, and upcoming releases.

This is a cautionary tale about being vigilant with your backups.

I didn't make this post as a call for donations per se, I don't know how feasible trying to recover the work even is. I sure wanna bring attention to the guy though, maybe you can play his songs, follow his socials or offer some advice on how to recover from a setback like this. Personally I sent a twenty.

It sure seems fucking depressing as hell to lose all your work you poured your love and passion into to technical issues.

submitted by /u/JJDavidson
[link] [comments]

MF Doom Wake, Stories: Questlove, Adult Swim, Stones Throw

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 04:32 PM PST

Lil Wayne - Mahogany

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 07:47 PM PST

[LEAK] Lil Uzi Vert - My LUV Is Not Rented (.prod Pharrell Williams, Blink 182)

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:16 PM PST

The Weeknd has put up $7 million of his own money for his Super Bowl halftime show

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 04:24 AM PST

Sunday General Discussion - January 31st, 2021

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 10:38 AM PST

go birds

submitted by /u/HHHRobot
[link] [comments]

Fonzworth Bentley - Everybody feat. Andre 3000 and Kanye West

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 01:07 PM PST

I'm So Hood (Remix) Ft. Jeezy, Ludacris, Busta Rhymes, Big Boi, Lil Wayne, Fat Joe, Birdman and a Rick Ross. (2007)

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 01:34 PM PST

J. Cole - Lost Ones

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 06:45 PM PST

Lil B - Problems In The Streets

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:20 PM PST

Denzel Curry & Twelve'Len - Delusional

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 10:34 AM PST

[DISCUSSION] what do you think of early hip hop from the 70's-80's?

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 11:12 AM PST

I bring this up because a lot of people seem to just bring up 90's or 00's when they talk about hip-hop, but I have a big soft spot for 80's hip hop. Especially for the late 70's and early 80's period.

It feels really primitive compared to the other periods of hip hop, but something about the energy a lot of these songs (or live performances, they're arguably even better) brings out a different vibe than a lot of later hip-hop. It feels really communal, kind of having the vibe of just goofing off with your friends and having a good time rather than the cold tone I usually hear in hip hop.

The amount of experimentation that happens in this time is also really fascinating to hear, whether they're a live band recreating a sample, making something completely original, or using synths and drum machines.

Groups like the Treacherous Three, Cold Crush 4, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, and others have a lot of really underrated tracks in my opinion.

However, like I said, something interesting I realized about this era is the difference from regular songs from these artists, to their live shows. While there is a lot of great early hip-hop tracks (ex. New York https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2kpDqMGyzA, The Message, feel the heartbeat, spoonin rap), a lot of them are also really dated and don't hold up well. They often feel stilted and awkward, which sometimes carries over even with the best rappers in this time.

For example, does something like Punk Rock Rap (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfG4pzLK6rw) really compare to the energy that Cold Crush 4 gives out less than a year earlier (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCTjA9zapLc )? or the rappin and rocking the house song compared to this performance of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw10bdA-HTQ

I think part of this could be that most of early hip-hop is less "songs" as much as they are party jams. Which is why I think that style has a hard time translating to wax. People into traditional song structures rather than a series of brag raps, they're not really for you. But once you get past that, you'll have a good time.

The connected evolution of hip-hop with electro is also pretty nice to hear. Artists like Africa Bambaataa, The art of noise, and Mantronik were combining elements of hip hop with electronic music. Go check out their work also.

All in all, I think it's a really fascinating phase of hip-hop not talked about as much as it should be. If there's any other great artists I could know about from the early days, I would really appreciate it.

submitted by /u/CrestAction
[link] [comments]

Quasimoto - Catchin' The Vibe

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:10 AM PST

From One Medium to Another: Translating Piñata to the Big Screen

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 03:50 PM PST

IN THE FINAL weeks of March 2020, just as the COVID-19 pandemic began to kick up a notch, I discovered an album by the name of PiƱata, MC'd by Freddie Gibbs and produced by Madlib (aka Otis Jackson). Very late to the game, yes, but my enthusiasm for the beautiful samples and imagery-filled bars could not be rivaled. Hip-hop music came to me in a different light than any other form of media being introduced to me, as I was raised on classic rock and the pop hits of the 70s and 80s- thus, hearing the old-school samples and rushes of drums beneath the gritty, relentless lyrics by Gibbs was a welcome medley of sounds to my previous, rather isolated ears. Before my sophomore year of high school, I couldn't name five rap albums, but being exposed to the selection of rap and hip-hop music that I was, when I was, opened my taste to a rather specific region of the genre. Needless to say, since discovering PiƱata, my obsession with Madlib and Freddie has skyrocketed to the top of my personal hip-hop catalog. While I was addicted to the music I was hearing, I am not a musician by program- I'm a writer, a writer who's obsessed with movies.

MY ENTIRE LIFE I have been a film geek, and when I began digging deeper into the makings of PiƱata, I found that its roots in the film culture were deeper than anyone would acknowledge before me. In a few brief comments, Freddie acknowledged the Blaxploitation-era influences on the aesthetic and production of the project- so I took to this trail and quickly found myself connecting films to the samples within the album. Samples galore from classics of the genre; Superfly (1972) most notably, which stood out in my screening as what best encapsulated the album's energy. The overwhelming connections linking in my mind from these two mediums birthed the idea that I present today. My brain is wired through visuals, something there is no shortage of within the combined efforts of Gibbs and Madlib on this album- so I began writing down what I saw. With what intentions, I didn't really know at the time, but what I did know for damn certain was the excitement and escapes this endeavor offered me.

CREATING A MISSION was ultimately what this came down to. I was beating myself up over a lot of shit at the time, and in a lot of ways, this effort on my end was more personal than anything. I've written fifteen screenplays to this date- and I'm only nineteen years old. The lack of credit or appreciation I was getting really started to get to me. I kept myself down for a while… but when those bars on Deeper hit my senses I couldn't help but start writing the story of PiƱata within my head. The idea became infectious, and the energy and drive that I had lost had finally come back. The negative crap I was throwing my own way was redirected into the love I have for movies; and, PiƱata's aura was driving that. Gibbs delivers seriously brutal wordplay and flows following the tales of his haunting past, a story asking to be told on the big screen. Going back into my writing mindset, I began outlining a series of intricately designed plots that revolved around the stories Freddie was telling. Gary, Indiana, the hometown of the hero at hand became our figurative battleground for the obstacles this protagonist would face- dancing on the lines of each bar Gibbs delivers, I worked to create the perfect lead role that

would be true to Freddie's energy, but also original in the idea that it was to be an adaptation- not a replication of the source. That was the beauty of PiƱata to me; it was never concrete in any narrative, rather, it hones in on a series of themes and motifs around the harrowing life of being a drug dealer, and further, fighting to escape that life. This is what was to become of the life within this story- and what pushed me to think "outside of the box" (so to say) with the implantation of a whole new spin on the problems before me. I wasn't writing into existence each line Freddie put down, no, I was writing into place the story that would hold all of the anger and complexities of the subsequent emotions displayed by them. Quickly, as my outline grew more concrete in the structure, Harold was born- the lead character of the script that was written start to finish for Freddie. The story was to follow Harold as he fights through a seemingly "healthy" lifestyle ahead of his questionable past; however, this becomes threatened by the return of an old friend who brings temptation and misguided glory that leads him back into his old ways. The struggle of understanding one's past in relation to their present life became the primary arc for Harold, but the progression of his story in the world I had created became the next obstacle I was to overcome.

IT WASN'T LONG before I was resonating with the energy in the story I was writing. The world that continues to fall apart around us resembles an interesting concept that flows throughout the chaotic life of Harold. While on the surface, everything would appear to be at the very least "alright", it really isn't, and the negative drive that comes as a consequence of ignoring these issues is what stirs the pot and pushes this adaptation along. With each scene, Harold is being tested by society, his internalized rage, and the past that he once identified with so heavily. Every track from the album finds a way into this script, being a true driving force in the obstacles Harold faces. From Scarface to Watts, every track has a shining moment in the story, so that by the time the final moments come, Harold has become Freddie, and Freddie has become Harold- their assimilation coming as the pinnacle of the adaptation. A reminder that the music has become one with the world, just as the story has integrated into the music. And that's where you come in.

THE PITCH IN question is this- I want to bring PiƱata to life, as in its current state the full potential is yet to be reached. The film medium allows for the addition of the visual sense, one untapped by the music, and one that Freddie is so close to it pains me that he hasn't reached out yet. What I have is a 90-page screenplay and outline detailing a fleshed-out adaptation for the 2014 masterclass hip-hop album PiƱata. The lead character, Harold, is written with the intent of being played by Freddie himself, allowing for a progression of his career that would pay homage to the legendary material before him, but also create a new path for his future in the film career- because let's be real, Freddie Gibbs has star power, one that can only be fully manifested on the big screen. The music and score powering this film adaptation would be produced by none other than Madlib himself; giving the beats to the master to stretch and manipulate to the drama of the story. PiƱata, the film, would then be the ultimate cultivation of the aesthetic and drive upon which it was originally created: independent, raw, and inspired by the artists and genres before it.

I NEED YOUR HELP in making this dream become a reality. I've written my heart out, and really put together something I'm proud of, and something I think Freddie, Otis, and all of the fans of their work can be proud of too. Bringing this story, and further, this album to life has become the mission I can be proud of myself- and I hope you'll join me in keeping the drive and energy of this project alive.

Thank you to everybody showing their support- Let's take this to the end!

Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/SammyCastellino/status/1354893108723527681?s=20

submitted by /u/yessirr420
[link] [comments]

Elzhi / Zerrick Beats / Smack Pack

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 10:09 PM PST

Brandon Caldwell reviews Devin the Dude's Just Tryin’ Ta Live for Pitchfork's Sunday Review: "we revisit the Houston rapper’s 2002 album, where stoner logic and slacker humor becomes a timeless look into the psyche of the everyman."

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 02:04 PM PST

Slowthai performing a new song with Skepta on Jimmy Fallon on Fri 2/05

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 07:46 AM PST

https://imgur.com/gallery/bgQCFjE His instagram post

https://imgur.com/gallery/ES0VsC3 insta comment saying it's called CANCELLED

submitted by /u/watermaloneyyy
[link] [comments]

6 dogs - OK (lost music video)

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 03:20 PM PST

Griselda: Beating the Odds (Documentary)

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:24 PM PST

Some people call them the group that's breathing life back into Hip Hop. When it comes to Griselda......

Tap in: Griselda: Beating the Odds (Documentary)

submitted by /u/860sPRee
[link] [comments]

People Under The Stairs - The Sound of a Memory

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 04:27 PM PST

Super Cat is straight �� �� ��

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 10:07 PM PST

Roc Marciano -- Snow (rmx) f. Sean Price

Posted: 31 Jan 2021 01:20 PM PST