Daily Discussion Thread 12/31/2019 - HipHop | HipHop Channel

Pages

Daily Discussion Thread 12/31/2019 - HipHop

Daily Discussion Thread 12/31/2019 - HipHop


Daily Discussion Thread 12/31/2019

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 05:15 PM PST

Welcome to the /r/hiphopheads daily discussion thread!

This thread is for:

  • objective questions with right/wrong answers (e.g. "Does anyone know what is happening with MIXTAPE?", "What is the sample in SONG?")
  • general hip-hop discussion
  • meta posts...e.g. ideas for the sub

Thread Guidelines

  • Do not create a separate self post for these types of discussions outside of this thread - if you do, your post will be removed, as stated in the guidelines.

  • Please be helpful and friendly.

  • If a question has been asked many times before, provide a link to a thread that contains the answer.

Weekly/Monthly Threads

Other ways to interact

There are a number of other ways to interact with other members of HHH:

New to /r/hiphopheads or hip-hop in general?

Check out these:

submitted by /u/ModsLittleHelper
[link] [comments]

NAV : Akademiks hop on and off dick so much he prolly got STDs

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 05:14 PM PST

A donut shop in Detroit dedicated to J Dilla and run by Dilla's uncle needs some help

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 08:58 AM PST

Dilla's Delights is the name of the store. It's been around since 2015. I don't live in Detroit but I get to visit once a year and always stop by. The donuts are on point, the staff who work there are generous, and the one time I met Herm he was a gracious dude. He had a battle with cancer and is in recovery now. They closed the store during that time so they're a bit behind on things financially. You can read more below.

I know there's some Dilla heads out there so if y'all got a couple extra bucks please consider sending them his way.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/preserving-the-donut-shop

submitted by /u/foug
[link] [comments]

The Hip Hop Bars of 2019

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 07:18 AM PST

Not always the best lines, not always the worst. Instead, these lines were memorable, made us rewind, or by chance, encapsulated just what the hell was happening in 2019. These aren't in any rank. (EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: This is mostly influenced by popularity within hip hop)

"Can't nobody tell me nothing" - Lil Nas X (ft. Billy Ray Cyrus), Old Town Road (Remix)

Let's start with the obvious. 20-year-old Lil Nas X had a great 2019. What started as a controversy then propelled a young rapper breaking the Billboard record for longest-charting song at number one for nineteen weeks. This shit was everywhere. Additionally, Billy Ray Cyrus hopping on the remix landed him with more respect in rap than his own daughter. The track, which was removed from the country genre charts, is nominated for a Grammy (sorry, two Grammy's, and the album/EP is nominated for Best Album) after the various remixes, videos, and meme-ing of it as helped it dominant spring and summer of 2019. While "I'm gonna take my horse to the Old Town Road," or "I got horses in the back" is as memorable, we really couldn't tell Lil Nas X anything. . . But really, this song is really nominated for a Grammy.

"I just took a DNA test, turns out I'm 100% that bitch" – Lizzo, Truth Hurts

This song is also nominated for a Grammy. In fact, Lizzo has the most nominations for the 62nd Grammys. It's weird yet fascinating what TikTok and meme culture can do. The song has dominated several Instagram captions, pushing Lizzo into stardom, which in turn gave her a lot of fans and a lot of detractors. Guess all that drama with the Uber Eats driver doesn't sit well with the younger generation.

"My kids stuck at the border, Flint still need water" – 21 Savage, A Lot

A common theme with my lists: There's better 21 Savage lines, some in this song (could've used Cole's meme line) but this line is from the music video in which 21 rapped a new verse. And in case you forgot this happened this year, 21 Savage was arrested by ICE(it's our most upvoted thread this year). I could go deep into my views on America and our politics, but to put it lightly: There's kids in cage, Fuck Donald Trump. 21 dropped a solid album in Dec 2018 that showcased more than guns and drugs. Lines like these made me appreciate his music more. I still like his gun talk but variety is always cool. Also, 21 is from the UK?! What?!

"They call me F-L-A-C-K-O and don't play, no, about my papes" – A$AP Rocky, Babushka Boi

Speaking of arrests and Trump, our boy Rocky got in some hot water over in Sweden. This led to Trump tweeting, trying to get Rocky out of trouble. Once Rocky was out, instead of thanking the POTUS, he dropped a music video that featured shooting cops. Or pigs. what'sthedifferenceokaylemmestop

"You disrespect me and I'll beat your ass up, all in front of your partners and children," – DaBaby, Suge

One of the hottest rappers in 2019, from dropping two albums this year, hopping on just about everyone's albums, getting on XXL, to releasing hilarious music videos, DaBaby cannot be stopped. I think he's a good rapper, and his charisma is just infectious. DaBaby managed not to go to jail for (his words) "an act of self-defense" and straight up made some guy famous after he left him with his pants down in a store. Of all the artists this year, I am very interested in how DaBaby will take on 2020

"Real hot girl shit, yeah, I'm in my bag, but I'm in his too, and that's why every time you see me, I got some new shoes" – Megan Thee Stallion, Cash Shit

Hot Girl Summer, baby. Another rapper with great charisma to back up her great bars (yeah I said it), Megan had all these ladies feelin' themselves. ~Or maybe climate change did that. . .~ Regardless, her music should be played on the radio, at the pre-game, and the party, and in your library. Also, don't be out here turning women rappers against each other. None of that "There can only be one" bullshit. Megan is not the first to rap unabashed but it's still good for a rapper to be comfortable about who they are.

"Hot damn, hot water, hot shower" – Chance the Rapper, Hot Shower

Look this is the only line I clearly remember and I'm not spending much time on this. I'm glad Chance loves his wife, and the album concept IS great, but the execution IS NOT great. I was so excited for this album, and it just did not live up to my hype. The "Ooooh, I love my wife" meme song is better than this. At least DaBaby had a good verse on this.

"I think I've fallen in love. This time I think it's for real" – Tyler, The Creator, I THINK

Tyler, the Creator took the softer sides of Flower Boy and ran with it. It was a surprising first listen, because I relieved this would not be the rap album we expected (learn that shit, Grammys). Tyler wrote a song for pop stars like Bieber but ended up singing it himself in the form of Earfquake, and I don't think I want it any other way. It's funny: many say Tyler is a much different person from 2010/11. But now, seeing him play with voice pitches and wearing blonde wigs and dancing, he's still a weird kid at heart, but that's good. He gives other weird kids space to breathe.

"Okay, lil' dirty, nappy-headed East Atlanta n---a/Father said that I was a force/.44, Hank Aaron chrome/Wanna make it home? Then get out the Porsche/Let a n---a cover FADER 'fore I have to fade a n---a at the FADER Fort/It's tomato or tomato, either way, the boy the greatest/Play it, I won't say it no more/I was just fucked up, I was just down, down bad/I had to tighten the fuck up, but I'm here for the crown/Board of Education vs. Brown/I was bored of education, left the town/Fuck a resume and fuck a cap and gown/Fuck a background check back 'round when I get the check/N---a, that's now" – J.I.D, Down Bad

I cannot do this justice. Here's J.I.D's entire verse. Revenge of the Dreamers III showcased a lot of talent. And yeah, J.I.D does look like Swae Lee.

"1-800 then I kill the pussy" – Logic, Twisted

Logic dropped two bad albums this year. And yet, a lot of people knows he has the skills to rap. What the fuck, man? Either I use this line from his guest verse to describe his year, or the dick sucking line

"I got murder on my mind" – YNW Melly, Murder on my Mind

This song speaks for itself. Listen to the second verse while reading through articles on his court case.

"You're the sunflower" – Post Malone and Swae Lee, Sunflower

Cheating, because this came out in 2018, but man this is a good song. It broke records for spending 45 weeks in the Billboard Hip-Hop/R&B charts. Post Malone dropped another album going #1 too. With an Ozzy feature. Good lord. . . The sunflower metaphor is pretty smart, too. I wonder if other artists can still make great metaphors for their SOs.

"You my Chik-Fil-A" – Kanye West, Closed on Sunday

Apparently not. Kanye made a gospel album after supporting Trump again and is talking to those big televangelists. I don't wanna talk about it. Nine albums in (more counting collab albums) and Kanye is still going strong. God help us all.

"Drugs for the free, soul sold separately" – Freddie Gibbs, Education

Freddie and Madlibs are at it again. An album so good, some folks caught some backlash for saying MadGibbs is a better duo than Madvillian. This album didn't get much radio love but if anyone still believes that popularity dictates skill, fuck 'em. And if anyone still is antivax, then dude, get educated.

"I know I'm 'bout to blow, I ain't dumb, they try to take my flow, I take they ass for ransom" – Lil Tecca, Ransom

The guy looks like my cousin but made more money than all of us. Props to him and for dressing like he's gonna play some 2K in the official video.

"Now I'm digging up a grave, from my past, I'm a whole different person" Juice WRLD, Robbery

After hitting the scene with Lucid Dreams, Juice is still pushing music that the kids like. I had different comments here, but his recent passing influenced me to change it up. It's never easy, for me at least, to see rappers die at a young age. It also sucks that word got out about how Future inspired Juice to try lean, and now Juice WRLD is not with us anymore. I cannot do his work any justice, so I'll ask for comments to better explain the art behind his work. Yes, a cop out. Several teens and young adults loved his music, and it is always a shame to hear a 21 year old dying of a supposed drug-related seizure.

"How you die thirty somethin' after banging all them years? Grammy-nominated, in the sauna sheddin' tears," – Nipsey Hussle, Racks in the Middle

I haven't listened to a full Nipsey album. And I'm not gonna provide an excuse. I always knew about him, I've heard songs, my cousins would hype him up, I just have not listened to Crenshaw or the grammy nominated Victory Lap when they first dropped. I say this to promote the idea of trying new music, whether that's a new artist from your main genre, an old artist from the past, or even a whole new genre. And, it should not take a death to get an artist recognition. I'm not gonna bandwagon and say I loved the guy, but instead, admit to the mistake, and promote him here.

Nipsey Hussle, after seeing his debut album appear on live TV, was unfortunately shot outside his own store. That's what most non-hiphopheads no him for, and honestly, what a few rap fans know about him. However, he has great hustle (it's in his name, dammit), influencing Jay Z to buy 100 copies of his $100 mixtape. Yes, he was in a gang before, but he's been talking about us black men raising above that mentality, in and out of his music. He left a good impact, and I hope more people will dive into his music to keep the name alive

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

"Wish a n**** would like Liam Neeson" – Lute, Under the Sun

Hard ass line, bar of the year, fight me

"Just got a pack, came from the DHL" – Frank Ocean, DHL

"When somebody that you know throws you in the fire how do you survive?" – Dom of BrockHampton, Dearly Departed

"I got hoes that I'm keepin' in the dark" – Drake, Money in the Grave

"I'm the highest in the room" – Travis Scott, Highest in the Room

"Real ass bitch, give a fuck 'bout a n**a" – City Girls, *Act Up

"I drew a line without showing my body, that's a skill" – Rapsody Nina

What are some of your favorite bars of this past year? Tell me where I fucked up (I left Boogie off this, I know).

NOTE: After writing the first draft, it seems mods allowed for general discussion to have their own topics. The idea for this thread was partially born from that rule not existing, hence past writeups sometimes being in the DD threads. I have another write up for the decade done and some of a two-part thread for just listing all the songs from 2010 til now as a "hey remember theses?" However, it seems this is becoming redundant with the general "best lines of the year/decade threads" so I understand this coming off as unoriginal. I'll still post the decade thread but I don't know about the long list threads

submitted by /u/MC_Fuzzy
[link] [comments]

Lil B - Pour A Cup * Music Video * BRAND NEW MUST WATCH HAPPY NEW YEAR HHH

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 06:49 AM PST

Kid Cudi - Cudderisback

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 10:15 AM PST

Pusha T - Crutches, Crosses, Caskets

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 03:46 PM PST

Ab-Soul - Ride Slow (ft. Danny Brown, Earl Sweatshirt, & Mac Miller) [prod. Larry Fisherman]

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 08:46 PM PST

Rapper and brother of NFL player CJ Anderson, RBC Bugzy, was killed today, per his brother. RIP.

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 03:37 PM PST

According to CJ Anderson, his brother Bryon Edwards, AKA RBC Bugzy was killed today. Here is a screen shot of the most recent confirmation tweet from CJ as well as the link to the actual tweet.

Apparently he was shot according to Anderson's twitter. Rest In Peace.

*Edit with most recent tweet from CJ Anderson.

submitted by /u/CoopThereItIs
[link] [comments]

[FRESH] Uncle Murda - Rap Up 2019

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 03:55 PM PST

Lil Yachty - Yacht Club featuring Juice WRLD

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 08:25 AM PST

Cali Swag District - Teach Me How To Dougie

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 11:03 AM PST

KEY! and Kenny Beats - Demolition 1+2

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 01:49 PM PST

Gang Starr - What I'm Here 4

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 08:47 PM PST

Z-Money - Two 16's Feat. Valee

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 02:13 PM PST

[FRESH] Lil Tjay - 20/20

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 09:31 PM PST

[FRESH ALBUM] LIL DARKIE - THIS DOES NOT EXIST

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 02:10 PM PST

[FRESH] TeeJayx6 - 2020

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 09:05 PM PST

Smino - Amphetamine

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 10:59 PM PST

[FRESH ALBUM] Viper - One Day You'll See Me Again (Unironically Curated Album From His Pre-Drug Days of 1999-2008)

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 09:32 PM PST

Jay Rock - WIN

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 03:58 PM PST

Father - Look At Wrist (feat. iLoveMakonnen & Key!)

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 05:02 AM PST

Rick Ross (feat. The Weeknd) - In Vein

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 04:14 PM PST

Yelawolf - Pop The Trunk

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 07:23 PM PST

Kendrick Lamar - Untitled 8

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 11:07 PM PST

Lil Tracy - This Year

Posted: 31 Dec 2019 06:46 PM PST