Album Of The Year #43: Saba - Care For Me - HipHop | HipHop Channel

Pages

Album Of The Year #43: Saba - Care For Me - HipHop

Album Of The Year #43: Saba - Care For Me - HipHop


Album Of The Year #43: Saba - Care For Me

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 01:36 AM PST

Artist: Saba

Album: Care For Me

Release Date: April 5, 2018


Listen:

Youtube

Apple Music

Spotify


Background by /u/bennyandthejets17

Saba, born into the Westside of Chicago, at a young age was excelling in school and eventually graduated high school at the young age of 16. The Westside Bound trilogy details his adolescent period of life, along with the neglect of the Westside compared to the Southside of Chicago. Saba not only matured academically faster than his peers, but musically as well. Throughout his career, Saba often helms his own production and has a knack for soulful beats with a little trap flavor to them.The project, ComfortZone, earned Saba more exposure and was a breakthrough for his career. Saba's high intelligence academically translated seamlessly into his lyrics. I was extremely impressed by the maturity ingrained in his lyricism, but also impressed by his amorphous and adaptive flow keeps the audience's ears on the edge of their seat. Keep in mind, Saba recorded and released the album at only 19 years old. Saba has always been extremely self aware about being a young black man in America. Consequently, self awareness has lead to isolation from the rest of his peers. A common lyrical theme that appears in all of Saba's discography. One of my favorite verses from Saba surrounding this topic is his feature on Cornerstore by Joey Purp. As always, Saba manipulates his vocals to accentuate different words and liven up his delivery. Dealing with consequences of choosing a life path, devoid of any crime, seems unfair, Saba tried traveling the road less traveled. However, the devastating effects of isolation and broken friendships are still present. Rather than relinquishing to a life of crime, Saba used academics and music as an outlet. One of the many reasons gun violence runs so rampant in Chicago is because there are very few outlets or opportunities offered to young African-Americans. Another reason is Saba never chastises his friends that chose a different route but the consequences still weigh heavy on his shoulders:

I went to private school with these guys, but ultimately

I'm the only one who tried omitting the crime

Before dropping Bucket List Project, Saba kept his core audience satisfied with a series of stellar features. Saba's catchy and energetic hook on Angels helped boost his career further and became the most attention he received to that point. The deeply emotional and tear inducing feature on Cornerstore. Another stellar verse was on Shadow Man, in which Saba focused on his own imagined mortality. Bucket List Project resulted in the biggest success of his career, both financially and critically. The album dabbles in multiple moods, topics, and production styles. An issue I had with the album was the lack of cohesion, but I can't deny that each departure stylistically is executed very well. The overall message in the music is attempting to reach those goals on your bucket list. Saba can be seen as a successful example of achieving those dreams, no matter the cost. Saba sacrificed academic scholarships and the approval of his family to try and earn a living as a musician. The message is further compacted by a compilation of voicemails from family and friends about their own personal bucket lists. There are dark songs, including the most personal and heartbreaking example of this is on American Hypnosis. Saba details his anxiety and depression along with being a self proclaimed introvert.

American Hypnosis:

I don't speak, I'm silent as a mouse by my own house."

Depression runs through the bloodline of his family. Furthermore, because Saba was a high school student, he resides at home and the trauma is inescapable. However, ComfortZone and The Bucket List Project return and finish with optimistic messages. The same can not be said for Care For Me but how could it? Let's take one more look at Saba's verse on Cornerstore. The verse was written long before John Walter Long Jr. fell victim to a senseless act of violence.

I left my house this morning with the intent of returning

The last thing that I heard was the news of a murder

That wasn't more than a couple of blocks from where I rest my head

But I'm certain that it was a stranger, that's how I detach myself from the situation"

We all hear and see horrible news surrounding the most heinous acts of violence. However, it is easy to detach when consuming the information with no personal attachment. I am sure Saba has heard numerous gunshots and heard horror stories about the acts of violence in Chicago. This portion of the verse is heartbreaking considering in a mere 9 months Saba would lose his best friend. The grief he's watched others experience, eventually tragically consumed him ever since February 9, 2017.

Review by /u/bennyandthejets17

Care For Me is the aftermath after Walt passed away and a testimonial to his life. I commemorated the album by creating my very first video essay. This will be the bulk of the review but I wrote some more words on the fantastic album. Please watch the video and come back to read the rest of the review.

Saba worked in isolation, almost exclusively with producers: daedaePivot and Daoud. The project was kept a secret until the listening party. I believe this album explores grief as powerfully as recent albums like Carrie and Lowell by Sufjan Stevens or A Crow Looked At Me by Mount Eeerie. This may be considered a reach but I have never heard a hip hop album mostly focused on the grieving process. For that reason alone, earlier this year, I released a video essay attempting to explain my love for this album and the exquisite way it explores one of life's heaviest emotions and processes: grief. In the past month leading up to this writeup, I've been trying to distill why this is in my top 3 albums of the year and became one of the few albums that had an immediate impact on me. Personally, I am lucky to have never experienced grief in my young life. My close friends and relatives are still alive but my mother's parents are nearing death's doorstep. I consider myself extremely lucky to never lose a super close friend or relative but I understand that the inevitable will be coming soon. As I looked at my year end lists from past years, something jumped out. The expression of vulnerability was consistent with my favorite picks. For that reason, Care For Me is one of my favorite albums of 2018.

Not only that, but this album opened my eyes to how lucky I am. In one way Saba and I are similar, my cousin is also my best friend. Writing and searching for the perfect words to describe my love for him is resulting in my eyes welling up. A seismic shift would occur in my heart and the way I live my life if I lost him. About a week after the album released, I wrote this as I reflected on the album and life.

The last few days I have been thinking of my own cousin, because of this album. We run this small YouTube channel together, make music together, and I am lucky to call him my best friend. Care For Me made me think about how lucky I am to have him and how I need to appreciate every moment I have with him. A lot of Saba's album is based around his especially close relationship with his cousin, John Walt. Who was killed last year over a coat with a pocket knife. I can't express how sad this makes me, and how this can be a reality for so many people. Saba has talked about his depression and anxiety, but I can't even imagine the toll the loss of his cousin had on him. I can't say enough good things about how he was able to express this on the album. You can hear it littered throughout the album. I don't think I've heard a hip hop album articulate grief and loss so well.

Sure, there has been tracks, but this album shows almost a full scope of grief. However, there are other topics like his relationship issues on "Broken Girls", tackled multi faceted brilliantly. The harsh reality of police brutality on "Sirens" told by a fifteen year old African American, the way he manipulated his voice to fit that is absolutely remarkable. His commentary on the downfalls of social media on "Logout". But a lot of it returns to John Walt. The isolation, depression, loneliness, and just an utter shift that happened to him. Even on the tracks that sound more optimistic, they are still tinged by his loss. AKA, "Smile" and "Heaven all around me." Smile, has the heart breaking line, "More than a canvas, you carry me these days. Practice, I'm tryna remember, I'm tryna remember." And "Heaven on Earth" is about John being murdered and although he is in Heaven, it doesn't feel right and he wants to stay down with his brothers. I hate how some of the best music can be made out of immeasurable pain. I just hope this album can help people cope with pain they have gone through, this has made me so appreciative of the relationships and life I am lucky to lead."

As cliched as it sounds, I listen to music to learn more about the human experience. This album will always leave a special imprint on me because it impacted me significantly. If an album can change your outlook, that's when you know it's special. I applaud Saba for laying out his insecurities, flaws, trauma, and journey to his audience. One of the albums where we experience an artist at his most bare. Thank you, Saba.

Favorite Lyrics: by /u/bennyandthejets17

Sirens

Ridin' through the city

I'm young, I'm black, I'm guilty

I know one time wanna kill me

They don't know me but they fear me

15 years old with the sticky

They gon' blame it on the marijuana

Hand behind your head

And they won't let up out they lead

But if I move that's disrespect

But if they shoot then that's just that?

And if I run then that look bad?

Drawing they gun right off their hip

I'm probably deservin'

Cause I know they serve and protect but they think I'm servin'

Or they think my cellphone's a weapon

Heard that the robber wore a black mask

I fit the description, a.k.a. "nigga"

Life

I got my grandaddy soul, I'm at war, that's on my mind

I seen Walter body cold, wish I could switch it with mine

I'm not worried 'bout no rap shit, distractions or waste-of-times

I still go to social functions even though I'm so anti—

No, I'm no Rihanna, the court gonna throw it like Donovan

Down a bit, I just been modelin' my whole career

As if 'Pac was here, studio monitors shakin'

I raise the apartments, I'm Bono with profit

I made what I made in allotted

Amount of time the same amount of time you was watchin'

> So stop comparing me to people, no, I am not them

A lot of people dream until they shit'll get—gunshot

Prom/King

I went to the barbershop, the first thing the next morning

Then I got up with Legit, we supposed to do some recording

10 minutes into this session, I got a call from a number

That I don't got saved, but I answer anyways

She says, Hello, Malik, have you or Squeak

Talked to my son today? He was just on the train

We got in the car, but we didn't know where to drive to

Fuck it, wherever you are my nigga, we'll come and find you...

Just another day in the ghetto

Oh, the streets bring sorrow

Can't get out today with their schedule

I just hope I make it 'til tomorrow

I just hope I make it 'til tomorrow

I just hope I make it 'til tomorrow

I just hope I make it 'til tomorrow I'll

I just hope I make it 'til tomorrow

I just hope I make it 'til tomorrow

Discussion Questions: by /u/bennyandthejets17 and /u/erlembald

How or why did this album impact you personally?

Have you every been through the grieving process? What were the similarities and differences between Saba's and your experience?

What would you like to see from an upcoming Saba album?

How has Saba evolved from Bucket List Project to Care For Me (is it a step forward? Is the sound, the content, the lyricism on par, or better?)

Kendrick and other lyricists who tackled more personal issues in their music on Care For Meare there obivous parallels, is the influence besides the personal topics there? Not sure about Kenny though, but I've heard it a few times that people compared Care For Me with GKMC from a storytelling perspective/maybe also ask for other influences, not sure, if Saba has also called mid-western rappers like Twista as influence. After all, Care For Me has in my opinion it's own unique sound. - influence of Saba in the up and coming scene of new Chicago rappers (thinking about Smino (yeah, he not originally from Chi city) and Noname) - Is the scene going to blow up/become the new thing in the following years? Will they create their own niche/be able to solidify their sound and stay true to it?

submitted by /u/bennyandthejets17
[link] [comments]

Sunday General Discussion - February 3rd, 2019

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 08:18 AM PST

I know I've got big shoes to fill here but I hope one day I can be as great as /u/TheHHHRobot was. Please submit any complaints you may have to /u/TheInfinityGauntlet as I am half illiterate meaning I can write but not read.

submitted by /u/HHHRobot
[link] [comments]

21 Savage arrested by ICE

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 12:19 PM PST

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkWinneWSB/status/1092155141636214784

ICE spokesman Bryan Cox: "U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrested unlawfully present United Kingdom national Sha Yaa Bin Abraham-Joseph AKA '21 Savage' during a targeted operation with federal and local law enforcement partners early Sunday in metro Atlanta."

Original tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkWinneWSB/status/1092154199096418310

Breaking: ICE has arrested #21Savage official confirms @wsbtv

Update: "https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkWinneWSB/status/1092155899559534599"

"Mr. Abraham-Joseph was taken into ICE custody as he is unlawfully present in the U.S. and also a convicted felon. Mr. Abraham-Joseph initially entered the U.S. legally in July 2005, but subsequently failed to depart under the terms of his nonimmigrant visa", Cox emailed

Update #2: https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkWinneWSB/status/1092157166172233731

More from ICE spokesman: "Mr. Abraham-Joseph is presently in ICE custody in Georgia and has been placed into removal proceedings before the federal immigration courts. ICE will now await the outcome of his case before a federal immigration judge to determine future actions."

Update #3: https://twitter.com/CNNValencia/status/1092159977781972992 (Okay, I really don't know what to make of this one)

BREAKING- @ICEgov spokesman tells me @21savage was taken into custody by ICE. "His whole public persona is false. He actually came to the U.S. from the U.K. as a teen and overstayed his visa." MORE COMING

Update #4: https://twitter.com/CNNValencia/status/1092162339250544640

BREAKING- @21savage initially entered the U.S. legally in July 2005, but subsequently failed to depart under the terms of his nonimmigrant visa and he became unlawfully present in the U.S. when his visa expired in July 2006: @ICEgov

Update #5: https://twitter.com/MarkWinneWSB/status/1092176534666907649

Important new info on #21Savage arrest: am told it was NOT part of a SuperBowl -related ICE operation, that he was in car with another hip hop artist who was subject of a local police bust @wsbtv

Comment from 21 Savage's Attorney: https://variety.com/2019/music/news/21-savage-arrested-by-ice-deported-1203127294/#xcess

The rapper's attorney, Dina LaPolt, told Variety: "We are working diligently to get Mr. Abraham-Joseph out of detention while we work with authorities to clear up any misunderstanding. Mr. Abraham-Joseph is a role model to the young people in the country — especially in Atlanta, Georgia and is actively working in the community leading programs to help underprivileged youths in financial literacy."

Update #6: https://twitter.com/CNNValencia/status/1092193076553138176

BREAKING- @21savage was in the car with another rapper who was the target of a criminal arrest. 21 was taken into custody by law enforcement after they learned of his immigration status. "There is no misunderstanding. 21 Savage is a British National.": Law Enforcement source

Update from DJ Akademiks: https://twitter.com/Akademiks/status/1092197261881368578 (credit to /u/Happy_Viper)

Spoke to 21 savage team... this whole situation a big misunderstanding ... hope it gets cleared up quickly. There's a logical explanation behind everything as well... but until then them U.K. jokes gonna fly. When the real story comes out a lot will identify with it .

submitted by /u/Zaqxswcdevfr
[link] [comments]

Young Nudy has been arrested in the same operation as 21 Savage

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 05:42 PM PST

https://twitter.com/GiselaPerezTV/status/1092199410119962629

Per a law enforcement source the operation was focused on Rapper Young Nudy, real name is Quantavious Thomas, and 2 other men (names unknown). Local officials arrested those men, and ICE took 21 Savage into custody

https://twitter.com/donovanfarley/status/1092197035535552512?s=21

Just go off w ICE spox. 21 was in a car w Young Nudy and 2 others last night when APD pulled them over & arrested Nudy & others. 21 got dinged in the system & turned over to ICE. Spox said ICE wasn't aware of 21's '14 arrest or they'd have popped him then. #free21savage #free21

https://twitter.com/gunnersellwhite/status/1092234232053858304?s=21

Free slime ball young nudy smh 😕

https://twitter.com/unotheactivist/status/1092218185120546816?s=21

Free savage n nudy

submitted by /u/a_mericana
[link] [comments]

[FRESH VIDEO] James Blake - Mile High (feat. Travis Scott & Metro Boomin)

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 09:05 AM PST

[GAME THREAD] Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 04:59 PM PST

Event: Super Bowl LIII

Location: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA

Maroon 5, Travis Scott, and Big Boi are performers

Set List: Maroon 5- Harder to Breathe

Travis Scott- SICKO MODE

Maroon 5- Girls Like You

Outkast- The Way You Move

Maroon 5- Sugar

Maroon 5- Moves Like Jagger

submitted by /u/trvisx1980
[link] [comments]

London On Da Track - No Flag (ft. 21 Savage, Offset & Nicki Minaj)

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 05:11 PM PST

That's How I Grew Up - G Herbo & Southside feat. 21 Savage

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 03:13 PM PST

Kid Cudi - Just What I Am ft. King Chip (2012)

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 08:51 PM PST

Nujabes - Feather

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 12:56 PM PST

Bladee - Special Place

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 10:31 PM PST

$UICIDEBOY$ - You're Now Tuning in to 66.6 FM with DJ Rapture (The Hottest Hour of the Evening)

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 09:22 AM PST

Royce Da 5’9” Latest Interview on Cocaine and Eminem Roasting Trump “Meant Everything To Me”

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 08:25 AM PST

The Curious Connection Between 21 Savage and Abolishing ICE

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 06:33 PM PST

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein 2001 (FULL ALBUM)

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 10:12 AM PST

A$AP Rocky brings out Drake at the Forum, Los Angeles (1/31/19)

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 08:42 PM PST

Wiz Khalifa - The Thrill

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 11:18 AM PST

Anderson .Paak - Come Down (Remix 2) Ft. Ty Dolla $ign and ScHoolboy Q

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 02:13 PM PST

Injury Reserve - All Quiet on The West Side

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 09:29 AM PST

Hov, Kendrick, 50, Rakim, Cole, Snoop, Redman, Game, Sean, wiz on EMINEM

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 08:40 AM PST

One of the first Russian rappers, Detsl, has died at the age of 35

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 01:00 AM PST

Kirill Tolmatskiy aka Detsl aka Le Truk was a prominent figure in the early development of Russian hip-hop back at the beginning of 2000s. He became popular all across the country for his songs 'Party at Detsl's house', 'A Letter' and many others. He was one of if not the first hip-hop artists in Russia who made it big on the national level. He is one of the most recognizable names in Russia and CIS, as well as one of the most praised artists, making very diverse music for mainstream audiences, underground Russian scene and even foreign scene with tracks combining a multitude of genres and languages.

Detsl died on February 3rd at the age of 35 due to a heart attack after one of his shows.

Gonna post a few songs here:

Party at Detsl's House (this is the one that every living person in Russia knows the words to)

A Letter (didnt fuck with the nazis and made it known on tv, salute)

Smoke Some (one of his mid-2000s hits)

God Is There

A Shot

Need me all my Russian hiphopheads to post more tracks, as well as add more info to my lil writeup here. Rest in Power to the man

submitted by /u/wrungle
[link] [comments]

Smooth Sunday. Post your smooth tracks here. SUPERBOWL SUNDAY EDITION

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 08:18 AM PST

You know what to do.

submitted by /u/ThugginOnTheInternet
[link] [comments]

YNW Melly - No Heart

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 06:36 PM PST

[DISCUSSION] Gunna - Drip Season 3 (one year later)

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 05:05 AM PST

What are your thoughts on this album after a year passed?

submitted by /u/OnlyLongComments
[link] [comments]

Jorja Smith - February 3rd

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 04:05 PM PST

French Montana - Figure it Out (ft. Kanye West & Nas)

Posted: 03 Feb 2019 12:47 PM PST