Album of the Year 2018 #11: Jorja Smith - Lost & Found - HipHop | HipHop Channel

Pages

Album of the Year 2018 #11: Jorja Smith - Lost & Found - HipHop

Album of the Year 2018 #11: Jorja Smith - Lost & Found - HipHop


Album of the Year 2018 #11: Jorja Smith - Lost & Found

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 05:18 AM PST

Artist: Jorja Smith

Album: Lost & Found

Released: June 8, 2018

Label: FAMM


LISTEN

Spotify

Apple Music

Google Play


Background: As a young girl growing up in suburbs of England, Jorja Smith picked up music at a young age with the encouragement of her Jamaican father. Starting with piano lessons, she eventually grew into singing at age 11, when she wrote her first ever song. As an impressionable youth, Jorja found herself listening to Amy Winehouse, Lauryn Hill, and Alicia Keys amongst others, all of which shaping the music she would release as an adult. As she found her passion for music, she utilized that in her education, earning a music scholarship at Aldridge sixth form school to study classical singing. After completion of sixth form, Jorja moved to London at 18 years old, where she aspired to pursue music full time. In 2016, she released her first single, Blue Lights, sampling Dizzee Rascal's Sirens, on SoundCloud. The song was met with an outstanding response, garnering hundreds of thousands of plays in less than a month. She continued to release music independently, culminating in her debut EP, Project 11, at the tail end of 2016. Jorja began to earn the attention of some big names around this time, notably Drake. Not only did Drake bring Jorja along to open on his European tour, Boy Meets World, he featured Jorja on two tracks off of his full length "playlist" More Life in 2017. Jorja continued to earn co-signs from other musical giants and etch her name in the industry early. After opening for Bruno Mars on his worldwide tour and contributing to the soundtrack of the 2018 juggernaut Black Panther, Jorja Smith finally released her debut full-length LP, Lost & Found, in June 2018, right before turning 21.

Review: Lost & Found is an R&B album which takes various influences from other genres, including hip-hop, pop, blues, funk and soul. Jorja, as her classical background may dictate, is a vocalist first and foremost, and she often commands the track with her vocals. Jorja's voice is stunning in a way that's difficult to explain with words; it's breathy, seductive and meticulous as Jorja glides her way through the album with grace and poise. To juxtapose her refrained voice are a collection of bombastic choruses and refrains which demonstrates Jorja's tremendous range, all while never sounding overly forced. While her voice is stunning, her songwriting is also an impressive highlight of Jorja's music. The album's title is a theme that carries itself throughout the duration of the album in a variety of ways. Jorja is speaking about her experiences in life and finding herself through those experiences, pertaining to love, emotional instability, guilt, and independence. The album's self-titled opening track is an immediate display of Jorja wearing her personal anecdotes on her sleeve, as she contemplates the thought of true love at such a young age, and if it can even be possible. Immediately following, the track Teenage Fantasy forebodes the opposite side of the story. This track, about a failed teenage relationship, features a breath-taking, show-stopping chorus from Jorja where her range is put on display, coupled with some harmonious choral vocals backing her up. Blue Lights, Jorja's first official single, details the thoughts of guilt by association and its impending consequences, using police sirens as the metaphorical crutch of the lyrics. These are just a few examples of the unique storytelling abilities and fabulously crafted from Jorja. There's are dueling emotions of vulnerability and confidence present, which is something I have not heard any artist achieve.

The album's production, much like the vocals, is lush and grandiose, but in a subdued sense. As mentioned before, the sounds of the album are eclectic and borrow from multiple genres. In general, each beat on Lost & Found works with live instrumentation, incorporating pianos, acoustic/bass guitars and authentic percussion. The production never overpowers the track; rather, it acts as the perfect complement to Jorja's somber serenades. The single Where Did I Go? features a progressive, groovy bassline, paired with some sparse, depressed keys. February 3rd introduces watered, glistening synths and some gentle string sections, which is brought to life by a sharp, click-clack snare. On Your Own, one of the album's loudest tracks, features a pounding set of bass chords and thumping snares, complete with a woozy, hip-hop styled breakdown halfway through the track. This would not be the only time Jorja incorporates some hip-hop into her songs on Lost & Found: the concise Lifeboats Freestyle features predominantly rapping from Jorja over a bouncing set of hi-hats. Using lifeboats as an analogy, Jorja covers the poverty she and her peers faced as a child, as well as the wealthy subsection of our modern society and their role in poverty; a topic that's barely touched by rappers, let alone an R&B singer. Blue Lights (which, as mentioned previously, already samples Dizzie Rascal) sees Jorja fusing her singing with some faster rapping flows over a boom-bap inspired drum loop. Sometimes, the track will take on a massive atmosphere, such as the case with The One: an orchestral journey of strings that echoes behind Jorja's syrupy laments over her independence. On the contrary, the ballad Goodbyes is fully acoustic, with only a single guitar joining Jorja's vocals. Most tracks on Lost & Found create an atmosphere that very few R&B albums have been able to replicate, and the production plays a large part in that.

Overall, I found this album to be absolutely stunning, especially considering Jorja's young age. I wasn't sure what to expect going into this album initially, but I came out of it with one of the most realized, mature and enjoyable R&B albums I've ever heard. This is for sure one of my absolute favorite albums this year, as well as all-time. Front to back, every aspect of this project is near flawless, and Jorja has fully cemented herself as a fresh force to be reckoned with in the industry. Very few artists have put me in a musical trance the way Jorja Smith did on Lost & Found.


FAVORITE LYRICS

Teenage Fantasy

I've got a lot of things to do What if I had been a fool and thought I was in love with you I need to grow and find myself before I let somebody love me Because at the moment I don't know me When I was told by my father, if I look into the future Do I really see this boy, that I think I've fallen for?

February 3rd

There's a life outside I didn't know Tied up, falling down to an empty soul And lord knows that this love has taken toll I've given all of my love to this broken home

Blue Lights

Tall black shadow as you're getting off the bus Shadow shows no emotion so what's even the fuss? But the face of your boy casts a darker picture Of the red handed act, he's gonna whisper; "Look blud I'm sorry 'cause I know you got my back He was running, I couldn't think, I had to get out of that" Not long ago you were miming to the "Shook Ones" Now this really is part two 'cause you're the shook one

Lifeboats Freestyle

So why are all the richest staying afloat? Seeing all my brothers drowning even though they nicked the boat Mothership ain't helping anyone See, the ships are getting bigger, full of greedy wasteful men Soaking kids with the lies before they even got to ten Sailing the internet waves, a tsunami of wires


DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

  • What are your favorite tracks on this album?
  • Do you believe this album is one of the best debuts in recent memory?
  • Does Jorja have a pop commercial viability? Why or why not?
  • Where do you think Jorja will go from here on her next release?

Thank you all so much for reading my write-up! I hope that i adequately summed up your feelings on this album. If you haven't heard it, I hope I've inspired you to check it out!

submitted by /u/dropthehammer11
[link] [comments]

Daily Discussion Thread 12/13/2018

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 06:28 AM PST

Welcome to the /r/hiphopheads daily discussion thread!

This thread is for:

  • objective questions with right/wrong answers (e.g. "Does anyone know what is happening with MIXTAPE?", "What is the sample in SONG?")
  • general hip-hop discussion
  • meta posts...e.g. ideas for the sub

Thread Guidelines

  • Do not create a separate self post for these types of discussions outside of this thread - if you do, your post will be removed, as stated in the guidelines.

  • Please be helpful and friendly.

  • If a question has been asked many times before, provide a link to a thread that contains the answer.

Weekly/Monthly Threads

Other ways to interact

There are a number of other ways to interact with other members of HHH:

New to /r/hiphopheads or hip-hop in general?

Check out these:

submitted by /u/ModsLittleHelper
[link] [comments]

Kanye firing shots at Drake on Twitter

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 12:54 PM PST

TL;DR

It appears Drake is trying to clear 'Say What's Real' off his So Far Gone mixtape. This song samples/remixes Kanye's 'Say You Will'

Kanye took this as the opportunity to air out Drake, citing all the sneak disses and behind the scenes threats he's alleged that he's made. In the span of his rants, he's claimed Drake bought out Pusha T's front rows in Toronto to cause a brawl, he sneak dissed him on SICKO MODE, Drake bullies people with mental health issues, only for Drake to end the first rant by calling him.

Kanye claimed 'Mission Accomplished' and the sample was not cleared. A couple hours later, Kanye is back and claiming Drake called to threaten his life, where he restated that XXX is dead and 6ix9ine are already in jail, only difference is Kanye is a family man. Kanye says he paved the way for Drake to come up in rap, and he shouldn't be giving the guy with pink polos the tough talk now. Essentially, respect your elders.

And then gives a further deep dive into SICKO MODE, calling out Travis for allowing that to come out as a diss to his brother-in-law. Retracts some of the harsher statements which are mirrored below, but then tries to end (as of now?) on a positive note, saying to respect him while he's still here.


This proves shit faker than wrestling

mirror

Still need that apology for mentioning the 350s and trying to take food out your idols kids mouths

mirror

Been trying to meet with you for 6 months bro You sneak dissing on trav records and texting Kris talking bout how's the family

mirror

I told you I ain't tell Pusha about your son

mirror

It's all love bro bro but don't play with me. You stay too close to be playing all these industry games bro

mirror

Sending purple emojis When I'm dealing with mental shit I need my apologies now Not through scooter either Not through Travis

mirror

I would never intentionally try to hurt you bro I never even heard none of the diss records That ain't my MO never did a diss record

No tough talk either

mirror

This ain't about who could pay to have something done to somebody This man to man bro This been bothering me too long

mirror

Buying first two rows at Pusha show got me hot bro

mirror

Stop this already bro You getting people hurt out here And over what

mirror

Kanye posted this passage from a Christian text


Drake finally called

mirror

Mission accomplished

mirror

By the way... not cleared😂

mirror


Drake responds with laughing emojis on his IG story


Can I talk my shit again?

Drake called trying to threaten me

The kid he had run on stage at Pushas concert is in critical condition

Since the pool line he's been trying to poke at me and fuck with me

So drake if anything happens to me or anyone from my family you are the first suspect So cut the tough talk

It just doesnt sit right on my spirit

I got a family and kids. 69 is locked up xxx is dead. The kid that ran on stage is in the hospital

mirror

Everybody knows somebody

He running around like he Pac

He be texting people I know like it's cool But won't sit and talk with me

When Cudi was in the hospital he sent shot

When I go through shit he fucks with me and I'm his idol

I'm the guy with the pink polo that made a way for him

Now he's so street

mirror

Don't ever speak on 350s

I'm your oxygen

You wouldn't send purple emojis to scooter but you wanna need with your brother

That's why black people never get ahead and and we stay controlled

Cause we rather act cool than sit and have a convo

Now it's a kid in@critical condition

Stop the act

mirror

If I'm bipolar This kind of shit can get me ramped

There would never be a drake without a Kanye west so never come out your mouth with a threat

Snoop is my elder and an inspiration to me

We both too high profile for you to actually do something to me

You trying to be a bully. I never been bullied in my life and I never will be. That's why I made it this far in a pink polo

You pick@on people with mental health issues

You get people hurt at concerts

mirror


Possibly the best two tweets here

Bro stop

You send emojis

You say all this shut to me but won't say none of that to J prince

Talk tough to real gangsters bro

You try to pick targets you think are easy

Ye never been easy. I navigated these waters before you. That's why you could be you

I'm up for talking. We need to show all of these fans that black men can@talk without someone ending up dead or in jail

mirror

We need to show the world that people can talk without someone ending up dead or in jail

How you gone text Kriss but not speak to me

How you gone be on Trav's song coming at me. Trav should have never allowed that

Drake I'm not going to physically fight you like it's MTV boxing

mirror


Or the Mandingo part on Jango

This is for no ones entertainment

We're making the world better at all times

More Please take the devil 👿 up out you bro

You are disrespectful to all people with mental health conditions so this is an opportunity for growth

mirror

It's not just you the world stigmatizes is and calls us crazy

Some true artist are a bit crazy Everybody is not Programed

Nobody scared of anything but god

Trust god bro God sees all Stop the act Cut the program

mirror


Never threatened north and saint and Chicago's daddy bro

To the right it's on sight Saint stays to the right bro

These tweets are not emotional

Kim help me out and get him off the phone

This is a man speaking to a man that has been placed in the program to fuck with Kanye West head and set me up

Drake this is what they want

You would be so sad if anything ever happened to me

mirror

But you're playing into it Why? A false runner??? A beat???

Leave me and my family alone bro

This year has been really tough and you have added to the confusion

I'm Ye bro Remember that I love you I would never intentionally hurt you That's what I've been saying to you

I would never mention your (blank)

You're mad at me for something I didn't do

I will never make a diss record

I will never put negative energy into a song

Only positive energy

mirror


Addressing Sicko Mode lines and Travis

I used to bring Travis with me everywhere with me Im an inspiration to both him and Drake

I heard Drake had more bars dissing me that were removed

Trav is my family and let this met throw sneak disses at me for clout

This clout shit done got outta hand bro

He passes Drakes the crib everyday

mirror


At this point he's repeating sentiments expressed earlier

Noooooo moooooore fake playing with peoples lives kids and mental health

If Drake would go at Ye that there is interviews that he loves me then he doesn't give a fuck about anyone

Our brother is lost and confused

Trying to kick me while I'm down

mirror

Now posting a revelation


Possibly calming down

Perhaps I should have been more like water today

It's what I felt And have been feeling for awhile All positive All love

mirror


Now directly addressing Travis

Fuck that sickomode song Family first and always

Fuck clout

People sold their souls You gotta a number one record but you got it by letting this dude diss your brother in law

It's not about rap It's about family We have to be close as a family and never let these people infiltrate just for radio spins

Drake called me threatening me

I hit Trav earlier today Now he just hit me More threats

mirror of this whole section


All positive energy I got love for everyone Just don't sneak diss or diss at all I paid the dues for all weirdos

I love everybody all positive energy No one that is a musician should ever diss me My existence is for the rights of all artist

Love to all artist

I actually like sickomode but I don't like that that is was sneak disses

If I wasn't hear all artist would be doing memorial songs

mirror

I need that love and respect that we didn't give Michael while I'm alive

No artist should ever diss me for clout Period

Broke down doors for sneakers fashion music everything

I'm a man about my family and integrity

I've made mistakes and have karma No man is perfect The universe will test us

All positive vibes

mirror

submitted by /u/Kitchen_Ur_Lies
[link] [comments]

[FRESH ALBUM] Kodak Black Dying To Live

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:00 PM PST

[FRESH] Various Artists - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Soundtrack From & Inspired by the Motion Picture)

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:03 PM PST

21 Savage - I WAS > I AM Tracklist Revealed

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 11:34 AM PST

Via @louisbellmusic on Instagram

TRACKLIST:

  1. A Lot (feat. J Cole)

  2. Break Da Law

  3. A&T

  4. Out For The Night

  5. Gun Smoke

  6. 1.5 (feat. Offset)

  7. All My Friends (feat. Post Malone)

  8. Can't Leave Without It (feat. Lil Baby & Gunna)

  9. ASMR

  10. Ball Without You

  11. Good Day (feat. ScHoolboy Q)

  12. Pad Lock

  13. Monster (feat. Childish Gambino)

  14. Letter 2 My Momma

https://i.imgur.com/t37Uqq5.png

submitted by /u/GamingHax
[link] [comments]

Lil Yachty & Burberry Perry have squashed their beef

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 08:55 PM PST

After not collaborating since Lil Yachty's 2016 mixtape Summer Songs 2 due to a dispute between the two, Lil Yachty states that both him and long-time friend Burberry Perry (The Good Perry) are cool again, so new music between the two is possible

Hopefully this means that we can hear more of the carefree, melodic, and non-overproduced Yachty like we heard on One Night, Wanna Be Us, and both of the intros from Lil Boat and Summer Songs 2

Screenshot taken from Lil Yachty's Instagram AMA 2 days ago: https://imgur.com/a/pnpgFQN

submitted by /u/lilbismyfriend2013
[link] [comments]

[FRESH EP] Big K.R.I.T. - Trifecta

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:00 PM PST

[FRESH VIDEO] A$AP Rocky - Tony Tone

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:04 AM PST

[FRESH] Saba - Where It's At

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:00 PM PST

[FRESH ALBUM] Method Man - Meth Lab Season 2: The Lithium

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 08:50 PM PST

Gucci Mane and Waka Flocka have squashed their beef

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 07:33 AM PST

JPEGMAFIA will be performing on COLORS

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 11:39 AM PST

[FRESH] Pitbull - Ocean to Ocean (Toto- Africa Cover)

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 01:49 PM PST

Which rapper had the worst album rollout of 2018?

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 04:18 PM PST

Pitchfork gives XXXTENTACION's "Skins" a 3.0.

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 10:10 PM PST

ASAP Mob announces Yams Day for the third consecutive year at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 01:59 PM PST

[FRESH] Vince Staples - Home

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:01 PM PST

[FRESH] Aminé - Invincible

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:11 PM PST

[FRESH] Yung Gravy (feat. Lil Baby) - Alley Oop

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:03 PM PST

[FRESH VIDEO] Kodak Black - Gnarly (ft. Lil Pump)

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:09 PM PST

Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke to pay $5m in final verdict to Marvin Gaye's family for Blurred Lines

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 06:00 AM PST

[FRESH ALBUM] Vic Mensa - HOOLIGANS

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 08:25 PM PST

[FRESH] Scared of the Dark - Lil Wayne and Ty Dollar $ign Ft. XXXTENTACION

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 01:29 PM PST

[FRESH] A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie (feat. Offset and Tyga) - Startender

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:06 PM PST

Meek Mill - Championships ALBUM REVIEW by theneedledrop

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 05:00 PM PST

[FRESH] Smokepurpp – ‘Sauce Like This’ + ‘But I Still Respect Women’

Posted: 13 Dec 2018 09:00 PM PST

'Sauce Like This' - Apple | Spotify

'But I Still Respect Women' - Apple | Spotify

submitted by /u/gimmeyopublishing
[link] [comments]