BREAKING: Derek Chauvin's charge will be increased to second-degree murder and the three other officers will also be charged. - HipHop | HipHop Channel

Pages

BREAKING: Derek Chauvin's charge will be increased to second-degree murder and the three other officers will also be charged. - HipHop

BREAKING: Derek Chauvin's charge will be increased to second-degree murder and the three other officers will also be charged. - HipHop


BREAKING: Derek Chauvin's charge will be increased to second-degree murder and the three other officers will also be charged.

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:15 AM PDT

Throwback Write-Up #11: 2pac - All Eyez on Me

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:37 AM PDT

Artist: 2Pac

Album: All Eyez On Me

Released: February 13, 1996

Background

Saying that Tupac Shakur left a large legacy in the rap game would be quite the understatement. Constantly being regarded as the greatest rapper of all time, Shakur's lyrical ability mixed with his gangster charisma and charm are damn near close to incomparable to anyone else. Although originally born in Harlem, Tupac was one of the most popular artists to come out of the West Coast rap scene that was booming in the early to mid-nineties. In 1988, Pac and his family moved to San Francisco where he finished high school and ended up linking with hip-hop group Digital Underground. Tupac made his first appearance rapping on the group's 1991 song, 'Same Song'.

​

2Pacalypse Now, his solo debut, was released in November of 1991, peaking at 64 on the Billboard 200. 2Pacalypse displayed the young MC's ability to tell almost poetic stories through rap with songs such as 'Brenda's Got A Baby' at just 20 years old. Two years later, Pac's second album, Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.AZ., debuted to greater commercial success while also containing some of his most famous singles like 'Keep Ya Head Up' and "I Get Around'.

​

While serving his prison sentence for sexual assault in 1995, Tupac dropped his third album, Me Against The World. The LP debuted at number 1 on the Billboard 200, staying at the top spot for four weeks, as well as passing Bruce Springsteen's Greatest Hits for the best-selling album in the United States. Pac said himself that he aimed for this album to be more personal and introspective than his past efforts.

​

Originally released in February of 1996, just over 6 months before his untimely death, Shakur's 'All Eyez On Me' was a seminal album in the hip-hop genre. The rapper's fourth studio album debuted at number 1 on the U.S. Billboard 200, selling over half a million copies the first week, becoming Shakur's second album to chart at number 1. In 2014, the album earned the RIAA certification of diamond for selling 10 million copies. At the time of release, the LP was met with pretty much universal praise, coming in at number 3 on Entertainment Weekly's 'Top Ten Albums of 1996'.

Review

The album's cover art¬ captures Tupac sitting backward in a chair, a chilled-out expression on his face, throwing up 'west side' with his hand. This image effectively presents the mood and essence of this album before you even hit play. Along with The Chronic, Eyez is the quintessential California rap album, filled with iconic smooth instrumentals and funky basslines to go under some of the most hard-hitting gangster flows and lyrics of hip hop's golden era.

​

Being a double LP that clocks in at over two hours long containing 27 tracks, this album is far from short. However, despite its length, All Eyez On Me very rarely drags or loses momentum. Without a doubt, Tupac opens the album strong, the first eight tracks come in with banger after banger. It's here where we get some of Pac's best songs such as 2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted, All About U or How Do You Want It. The production along with Pac's flow and charisma come together to create a certain energy that only someone with the unbridled confidence of Tupac Shakur can create.

​

After those eight tracks, Pac transitions into a more slow, melancholy track talking about the dangers of street life and paying respects to friends he's lost. The song is really heartbreaking and serves as a way of saying that being "gangsta" and "hard" isn't as fun as rappers make it out to be. This humanized persona really doesn't last long though. The next track, Only God Can Judge Me, brings back the fun and cocksure Tupac we all know and love. After that, we have Tradin War Stories and the west coast classic, California Love. Despite how much it's been overplayed, the song's still a banger.

​

The final song on disc one of the album is the only track that feels like it could be cut in all honesty. Whatz Ya Phone # has a super weird instrumental and flow that doesn't really fit in the style of the album. It's not terrible by any means, just with an LP that has songs of such high caliber, this one definitely stands out.

​

From that weak point however, disc two opens with what I wouldn't hesitate to call my favorite Tupac song. Can't C Me really encapsulates everything I love about Pac's music into one song. From the smooth funk sample to the distorted bassline and hard-hitting drums, it's very clear Dr. Dre has a production credit on this track from the get-go. To go along with the banging instrumental, the song has an eerie chorus from none other than George Clinton. If all that wasn't enough, Pac comes on the song with one of his hardest flows yet. His rapping on this track is super intense and he never lets up until the end.

​

The following track, Shorty Wanna Be A Thug, is more laid back and smooth. Set over a sample of Hank Crawford's 'Wildflower', Pac raps to the youth and wannabe thugs, giving them words of wisdom and advice. Wonda Why The Call U Bitch and Thug Passion are just more examples of the great production on this LP. Not only are the instrumentals funky, the female vocals on the chorus add some great melodies as well. Another one of my favorite songs, Run Tha Streetz, utilizes these female vocals along with that classic west coast whistle sound pair so well with Pac's almost gruff-sounding voice.

​

Despite the first half of the album having the more popular tracks on it, I think the second is better overall. It feels almost as if as we go further into the album, 2Pac just gets better and better at rapping.

Overview

As someone who's from California, I may be a little biased, but I feel that during the early to mid-90s, the west coast was truly on top. Starting with Straight Outta Compton in 1988, the California rap scene truly started to boom and this album may very well be the peak of all that. Just a little over six months after this album's release, Tupac is murdered in Las Vegas. A year after that, Biggie is murdered in Los Angeles. The time in which this LP was released almost feels like the beginning of the end for the golden age of hip hop. All Eyez On Me summarizes the west coast g-funk and gangsta rap sound perfectly in every way. The bouncy instrumentals and knocking drums along with aggressive bars and flows about gang lifestyle can all be found in here. It may not be the deepest in terms of lyrics or social commentary, but there's no denying that All Eyez On Me is a super fun album to listen to. It's a great album to put on in the car with your friends on a summer day and just cruise to. Even though it's almost 25 years old, the album by no means feels stale or dated.

Questions

  • Favorite Track?
  • Favorite Instrumental?
  • How relevant is this album today?
  • Would you consider this Tupac's best album?
  • Do you prefer the west coast or east coast rap of the 1990s?
submitted by /u/Vizualwatcher_
[link] [comments]

[FRESH ALBUM] Run The Jewels 4 - Run The Jewels

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:04 AM PDT

Saint Jhn asks to increase Roses ft Future music video budget from 60k to 100k, scraps the video, then donates the money to bail out protesters, black businesses

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 07:39 AM PDT

Yung Lean is donating all of his stream royalties/Merch sales to BLM “for the foreseeable future”

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:29 PM PDT

[FRESH] YG - FTP

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:28 AM PDT

British Rapper Slowthai is now a member of the AWGE collective

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:48 AM PDT

This one flew under the radar. The AWGE website listed him on their roster Furthermore, his most recent single, Magic, was released under Method Records and AWGE

submitted by /u/Owdin
[link] [comments]

Jay-Z takes out full-page ads across the country in dedication to George Floyd

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 07:13 AM PDT

Bhad Bhabie, 17, has checked herself in rehab for past childhood trauma and drug abuse

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:22 AM PDT

[FRESH] Run The Jewels - JU$T feat. Pharrell Williams & Zack De La Rocha

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:08 AM PDT

DeadEndHipHop: Freddie Gibbs & Alchemist discuss Alfredo with a "special" guest

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:11 PM PDT

Pitchfork gives Alfredo by Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist an 8.0

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 07:07 AM PDT

BigQuint reacts to RTJ4 (before its official release)

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:51 AM PDT

[FRESH] Run The Jewels - out of sight [ft. 2 Chainz]

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:14 AM PDT

[FRESH] Run The Jewels - walking in the snow (Art Video)

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:56 AM PDT

Freddie Gibbs and The Alchemist - Alfredo [Review]

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:28 PM PDT

Lil Keed accused of rape

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:53 PM PDT

[FRESH] Teejayx6 - Black Lives Matter

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 07:39 AM PDT

Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist - Alfredo Album Review

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:34 PM PDT

PARTYNEXTDOOR - Break From Toronto

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:28 PM PDT

Lil B - I Am George Floyd [ Official Audio ] NOT VIDEO

Posted: 04 Jun 2020 12:21 AM PDT

Lucki accused of raping a woman in San Diego in 2015

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:31 AM PDT

TL;DR: Lucki is accused of having raped a woman while he was in San Diego during the Burnin' Mad Tour 2 in 2015. The woman making the allegations has also said that since she made the tweet, other women have come forward.

EDIT 3: MY BAD I FUCKED UP. I read the following tweet from the accuser and misread it, thinking she said that multiple women have come forward messaging her. What she said was multiple women have ousted/accused Lucki of other stuff. My bad, I'm really sorry about that.

I said he's a rapist. Multiple women have outed his ass for other shit, and your pea brain still tryna figure out if you should fuck with him or not. Ok.


Lucki raped me in 2015 and I've been quiet for the last fucking 5 years about it. Y'all wonder why I sit on here and talk my shit and then say "it's deeper than the music" there you go. I don't care if it's the first or last time. It's forever fuck him.

& there you go, the cat is out of the fucking bag. I have on reason to lie about that shit either. & anybody that wants to come at me crazy as fuck can and will get blocked. Fuck him. Fuck him. FUCK HIM.

I just fucking told Raven & didn't say shit because I was scared his cult ass fan base was gonna attack me and here the fuck they are. I'm out.

In response to someone asking why Lucki would be in San Diego in 2015:

This happened in San Diego. Google it motherfucker. Back when he went by Lucki Eck$. I literally have no reason to lie and I'm not even from SF or California so suck my fucking dick.

In response to someone asking why she didn't go to the police:

What the fuck are the police gonna do for me? Not shit. Fuck off. I've spent my entire existence being sexually assaulted and was sought out like I was crazy for it you think I trust fucking anybody yet alone the bastards running around killing my people? Fuck OFF NIGGA DAMN

In response to someone saying she doesn't have anything to back the allegations:

Because I don't owe anybody an explanation and the people that do know my store have been told. It's a thousand of y'all in my mentions right now attacking me and you expect me to be cool calm and collected? Ok.

Bro I literally have nothing to gain from this at all lmao. Like nothing. I don't want attention. I don't want followers. I'm not chasing clout. I just want to get that shit off my chest and out there before it happens to someone else again.

Wanna talk about somebody was in the hotel room like that same somebody didn't go into the bathroom, came out, looked & went back . The same somebody tht was sitting in the back seat when you kept forcing my hand down your pants. The same somebody that seemed high the entire time

You just fucking sat there and DM'd me off a burner account and got told how you fucking raped me. Go show them that.

"tryna sympathize into some pussy" that's really all you got to say. how fucking pathetic. please don't say shit else to me because that alone is every rapists favorite fucking catch phrase. i'm done talking about this shit because that just pissed me off.


Lucki's Response

Stop fuckin playin wit my name. I got a mother & a sister that I respect how they look @ me. Why the fuck r y'all bothering me....

Stop saying my name bro. Fr y'all got me shaking. Like I'm fr I been rapping all these years and it seem like since this last week y'all been really picking w me! LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE

Some of y'all liking that shit hurt my feelings cause y'all the same ones I used to make sure nobody bothered while u was drunk, High etc at parties even we was teens. I can't play victim but seriously, that shit bogus

lol 💘 I got some corny ass tweets but I Promise it's not true. This my last tweet. I'm really sorry for even having to defend my self on some shit like that. but fr it's not true. Bye y'all

Only thing fuckin wit me is people that been fuckin wit me for years talm bout "Idk if I believe lucki". I don't even want shit like that associated with my character

I can go to sleep perfect I can look in the mirror perfectly. That's the only thing that bother me. I hate when niggas take advantage of girls. On my granny grave I be pouring my heart out to y'all, I wouldn't even be able to live comfortably with some shit like that on my head

In response to someone telling him to stop drugs:

Bro you don't know me bro. Y'all Keep Talm bout drugs. That shit was in 2015. Drugs was new to me. I couldn't even find drugs in San Diego. I was a sober young nigga. I promise somebody else was in the hotel room. I know it sound stupid but we was young n cheap. That shit not tru

a lot of y'all niggas be slick on here being real predators trying to sympathize with girls on topics like this into pussy. Y'all been doing that tho. & this not mmisery loves company but I really know some of y'all & y'all on this bitch actin like CM Punk. Lame ass niggas

I spoke my truth all day I got no guilt. Im really off this shit now. That shit just crazy cause I really been rapping for a long time. Some of y'all been waiting on some shit like this. & some of y'all genuinely don't know me & yalk know how evil men get & I respect that. But ✌️

Last thing. Stop saying "I support you no matter what". That shit embarrassing. I appreciate the love but that's outta pocket. You can show me you rock wit me wit out looking insensitive or bashing her. Ioon want no body representing me doing no shit like that


EDIT 1: Updated with Lucki's response.

EDIT 2: Updated with more tweets

submitted by /u/gurdijak
[link] [comments]

Anderson .Paak - 6 Summers

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:10 AM PDT

Souls Of Mischief - 93 'Til Infinity

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 02:38 PM PDT

Ski Mask the Slump God posts new protest song on IGTV

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:30 PM PDT

[Fresh] Run The Jewels - goonies vs. E.T. (Art Video)

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:01 AM PDT

Favorite songs expressing black rage to play at a protest?

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 11:36 AM PDT

Doesn't necessarily have to be 'trump bad man with bad plan' or 'Jerome get more time than Brandon', just a song expressing plight of black people that stays on that topic for most of the song and is upbeat enough for protesters to keep high energy.

submitted by /u/mrmulatto_
[link] [comments]